Help with my build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i have a 90 chevy 1500 2wd standard cab and long bed with a 4.3 and a 5 speed stick. it does not like to move in the snow so i want to make it 4x4 to help. i have already found a donor frame to use, it has everything i need to make this swap work. the frame is from a similar truck (same body style but not sure of the year was told it is a 88 or 89, once the guy gets back to me on the price i will see the title and know for sure) and has dual 25 or 34 gal fuel tanks and the entire driveline from the tranny back. i have done some research on this and so far it seems like a standard drop off the old and bolt on the new, but some areas are still fuzzy. the biggest thing is the motor mounts. since the donor frame had the 350 on it this falls under a 350 swap but in reverse. my problem is that i have yet to find anyone who can say anything for sure. i have heard that they are the same, they are different, they have to move and wether you can just unbolt and move them or you have to weld in new ones. please help me with whatever wisdom you have and some wise pics would be a great help.

this has been reposted from another area because i am a newbie, originally in offroad where you cant reply. thanks for any info and sorry for any problems this caused.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wisdom for you. Sell the 2wd and buy a 4x4 truck. you can get a 4x4 truck running cheap enough that you will save money buying a different truck than you will doing the swap. If you really want to do this and make the truck a 4x4 don't waste time swapping onto another frame. Get the parts together and put a solid front axle under that bad boy. If you are going to do all that work might as well make it badass.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
that is exactly what i was thinking because i can get a set of axels for $300 out of a junkyard and at least the rear will be bolt-on. but the reason i am considering doing a swap like this is because Any 4x4 here goes for no less than $1200 and i don't have that kind of money and wont for a while. the frame will only set me back about $150 cause the guy that has it wants nothing to do with it and just wants it gone. but anyway, i am still in research phase and still debating wether or not i want to do this or just buy a cheap car basicly right before winter, wich puts me in pretty much the same spot as buying a new truck. either way, thanks for the input every little bit helps.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
also i already know that the front crossmember is right where the pig will be on the 2wd frame unless i do a massive lift that will make the truck less useful to me

Reaction score
Lol I wish i could have found a GM 4x4 for around $1200... In my area there isnt too many GMs around in decent shape..
When i came across mine.. it was more then i wanted to spend..but finding one in this shape is few and far between, and so i ended up spending $4700. Which really sucked because it didnt leave me much cash to "dress" it up like i wanted.

Monster is right...if you are going to do the swap..you may as well go all out

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
that price was not for gm. that was for the kind of car you would think is going for $500 on the side of the road and even then there is no garauntee. i found a bravada ounce that was hit in the front and need the whole front clip, at kbb it went for 650 (i even put it as fair to be nice to the guy) and offered 850. but in his mind it was made of gold and would not go less than 2500. also i really dont want to get rid of my truck but can't afford 2 right now. but like i said i am still researching and so far the only hang up i found was the motor mounts. so if that is all it is than i just might do it.

Reaction score
motor mounts are the same frame wise. they put adapter plates under the v6 to make everything line up. the4.3 is literally a 5.7 with 2 cyls missing so the plates just space it back to meet the trans. thats why the fan shroud is so deep.
i did this 4.3 to v8 in a 93 about 10 yrs ago. its simple, take the spacer/adapter plates off the frame when you get the engine out and everything off the 4.3 bolts righton the v8. of course you need a radiator and fan shroud, but its a pretty staightforward swap. thats what makes a chevy a chevy (old ones anyway) imho the obs chevys were the last of the best trucks ever made. with a 90 (tbi) you just need a donor compatible eng and ecu and its gravy from there. oh and btw the spacer/adapter plates are just bolted to the frame. if your stickin with the v6 dont change frames just get the 4wd parts from the other one and put a dana 44 out of a f150 with leaves/coils in the front. changin a frame is a very long hard task, trust me on this.

Last edited:

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
since i am using the v6 all the little issues are not there becuase i will be using alot of that the stuff from the v6 setup. really the only thing that could really hold me up is the motor mounts. if that is all it is then i can prep those one weekend and start on the swap the other and it will be almost a direct bolt on swap. at least with the info i have found it would seem to be like that