Help Wanted: Passenger Airbag Disable Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dako

Reaction score
First things first. The passenger airbag disable switch that can be found under or near the cargo light switch died on me. From what I've read this means that neither the passenger or driver airbag will deploy in a crash and I would probably die. That's cool, but my airbag light is on in the gauge cluster, which means I wouldn't be able to pass an inspection which I will be due for this January. The GM part #15027105 has been discontinued because of course as we all know nobody drives these older trucks. Great work GM! Am I to buy a new vehicle because one stupid part broke, yet everything else is perfectly fine but for some reason you guys discontinued it entirely?

Anyway, that's where the fine folks here at GMT400 come in. Does anybody know of an aftermarket part or a clever DIY solution to A, fix the switch, B, turn off the light in the gauge, C, make sure my airbags deploy in a crash, D, doesn't automatically some how deploy the bags as soon as I hook it up, or E, all of the above?

I know I can't be the only person to have theirs fail after removing the dash face peice one time too many. Any help is appreciated. I'd even go so far as to cutting the switch out of the equation and leaving it there for looks.

I know the obvious answer is to visit a salvage yard, and I will, but you never know what you're getting with a salvage yard part, so if possible, I'd like to avoid the hassle of buying several junkyard switches in the hopes of finding a functioning one.

Thank you all in advance!

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure on these trucks but I had a customer with an F-150 with just a bulb in the airbag switch burned out that threw the code. I soldered an led bulb to the feed wires of the original bulb and the code went away. Never even removed the old bulb. You tube has a fix for that.

Dako

Reaction score
I think you may have solved my problem. Just out of curiosity I decided to turn my passenger airbag on. When in the off position the light in the switch does not turn on. But, when I turn the switch to the on position the switch lights up and after a day of driving the light in the dash went out.

So, I guess the solution is to arm the airbag, lol? Well. That was easy.

But now, about the bulb fix. I'm hoping to actually fix the problem completely. I think I will grab a junkyard switch and try taking it apart and see what's going on inside, see if I couldn't then repair my own. I figured the burnt bulb had something to do with it. Just wasn't sure why or how. Must act as a fuse?