Help!! Steering problem!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyTruck

Reaction score
My truck is usually okay to drive, but if its windy my truck is so squirrelly it is almost dangerous to drive. My steering wheel had some considerable play, and I figured that and a bad alignment was the reason my truck was so squirrelly I lowered my truck 1 inch in the front from the previous owner who had raised it to full droop. Never had an alignment done though. I checked tie rods, pitman and idler arm etc. All seems good. It seemed like the play was inside the gear box. Reason, I could grab my steering shaft and rotate it 20-25 degrees freely, and the rag joint turned with it(not worn out) and the pitman arm didn't appear to be moving. I've taken the gear box out, and the input shaft seems tighter than the replacement I picked up(used). Why would my steering wheel have so much play? I don't want to put the other box in because it seems like it has more play, but this is my only vehicle, and I need it back as soon as possible. Should I just put my old box in and get an alignment? Would that fix my issue? Is there something inside the box that is engaging now but wasn't when it was in my truck? I'm absolutely lost. Any help would be appreciated!