Help! Loud bang lost all gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evan Dykes

Reaction score
Hi there, Im new to the forum as well as my 1995 Chevrolet k1500. Today i was celebrating new years eve and hopped in the truck with my buddies to make a beer run. I pulled off the driveway by accident and threw it in reverse to get back onto the concrete. I noticed it was taking a little more throttle than it should to make it over the slight bump (2000 rpm maybe?). all of the sudden "bang!", I lost everything, truck wouldn't move forward or reverse. When i tried to put it in park it went in but grinded pretty bad. I put the truck in 4wd and sure enough i had drive and reverse. I parked the truck assuming the rear end went out, came back outside to move the truck out of the drive way and thought what the hell, ill put it in 2wd and give it another go. Sure enough everything was working as if nothing had happened. My only guess is the transfer case popped into neutral and when i threw it in 4wd and back to 2wd it went back in. I suppose my question is, is it normal for the transfer case to pop out and bang like that (assuming that was the issue) if not what could be causing it? (I made it home after this with no issues, about a 60 mile trip)

I will also make note. when leaving a complete stop the trucks slips when you give it a little throttle, i don't believe its the transmission slipping because it only does it from a complete stop or if you are coasting and get back in the throttle. could this be related to my incident tonight?

Thanks for any help, Sorry for the long post im trying to be as detailed as possible with what little information i have/know.

1995 chevy k1500 z71
TBI 350
4x4 in the floor
10 bolt rear end (g80 glove box code i believe)

Dan_Frisbie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my old '95 K3500, my wife had a habit of putting her purse between the 4x4 shifter and the seat (the idea being that the shifter would keep the purse in place during braking...). One day, she called me saying that the truck wouldn't "go". She could hear a grinding noise when she put the truck in "Drive". Someone stopped to help her and put the truck in 4wd and she drove home. I cycled through the gears, 4hi, 4lo, and 2hi, they all worked fine.
Her purse had slowly pushed the shifter up until it finally disengaged 2hi and almost into Nuetral.
Never had another problem with it.
So if people have been bumping the shifter (3 in the front seat?) or bags have been placed there, it probably slowly pushed the shifter forward until it popped out of gear.

Evan Dykes

Reaction score
In my old '95 K3500, my wife had a habit of putting her purse between the 4x4 shifter and the seat (the idea being that the shifter would keep the purse in place during braking...). One day, she called me saying that the truck wouldn't "go". She could hear a grinding noise when she put the truck in "Drive". Someone stopped to help her and put the truck in 4wd and she drove home. I cycled through the gears, 4hi, 4lo, and 2hi, they all worked fine.
Her purse had slowly pushed the shifter up until it finally disengaged 2hi and almost into Nuetral.
Never had another problem with it.
So if people have been bumping the shifter (3 in the front seat?) or bags have been placed there, it probably slowly pushed the shifter forward until it popped out of gear.
Maybe when i put it in 2hi after a drunken hunting trip it didn't fully "go in" and that slight bump i drove over made it pop out. This never crossed my mind but that very well could have been the issue. thanks for the insight