Help: Interior Lights Won't Shut Off...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
1994 ECLB 4x4 5.7L Silverado

The lights below the dash won't turn off. (called the courtesy lights I believe?)

All the other interior lights are off except for the two lights below the dash. Where does on start when trying to trance the problem/a solution for this?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Also... Pretty sure my dome light is burn out, that's why it's not also on incase you were confused.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try disconnecting each of the two door jamb switches. They mount right in the side of the dash facing the door panel on each side. Slip your hand up behind the dash and unplug the connector off the back of the switch. These switches fail A LOT!! Most of time they will just not turn on the courtesy lights when the door opens, but sometimes they keep them on when they fail. Another possibility is the headlight switch, the rheostat in particular that you use to dim your interior dash light and/or to the dome/courtesy lights.

I would check the first thing I mentioned first, and if that is to no avail try the latter. Hope this helps, good luck!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
the lights have 12v all the time, they work on a ground system, the door switches ground to complete the circuit, i would guess the white wire from one of the door switches broke off and is laying on metal or you have corrosion on a switch so bad that it is completing the circuit, i have also seen the wire in the door jam corrode and short out, crew cabs seem to have that issue in the junction plug between the front and rear drivers door where as club cab seems to have the wire go bad just behind the driverside door jam by the rear seat pillar.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Thank you guys. For now I just pulled the fuse to save the battery. I will look more into it tomorrow.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the lights have 12v all the time, they work on a ground system, the door switches ground to complete the circuit, i would guess the white wire from one of the door switches broke off and is laying on metal or you have corrosion on a switch so bad that it is completing the circuit, i have also seen the wire in the door jam corrode and short out, crew cabs seem to have that issue in the junction plug between the front and rear drivers door where as club cab seems to have the wire go bad just behind the driverside door jam by the rear seat pillar.

I Have seen this happen several times! The jamb switches are normally open, and when the door opens the switch extends and the circuit closes and provides a ground for the courtesy lights. The switch is generally what I have seen fail, but I've also seen a broken wire ground out as you said. This is a great post Ken!

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced mine already I was having the same problem pin switch broke well the following week the other doors broke so I bought that one and the one for the glove compartment just to be on the safe side.

Don't let the wires fall down because your going to have to fish them in the hole since the switch goes in from the outside of the panel.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
I find this so interesting, just the other day driving home from work I notice the interior lights are on. WTH I think....I turn the light switch knob, making sure it is not on....open and shut my door....still on. Get home, get out. Lock with the remote...the lights usually go out within like 5 secs normally, but this time they wont shut off. So I hop on here and find this thread. Good. I'll take the switches out and check them out. Try to pry the drivers side out and "pop" the top piece flies off along with a spring and the contacts.....just kinda exploded. I was able to find all the parts and reassemble and actually you can reach the drivers side switch from reaching under the dash. Your arm will get a little scratched up, but you can do it. So I get it all back together....lights still wont turn off. So I proceed to the passenger side.....the innards pop out again, but this time the plastic just breaks apart. Dry rotted or sun baked, not sure. It came out in about 6 pieces and then the darn connector fell off inside. You CANNOT reach up and get to this one. I ordered two new switches from Rock Auto, ridiculously cheap, like $1.50 each. Then I gotta figure lout how to get the connector back on it on the passenger side. I hope the glove box comes out easily. Then I just pulled the fuse for the courtesy lights until the new switches are installed and then, if that don't fix it, I'm back to square one. That's my "interior lights wont turn off" story...:pp:

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Replaced both door jamb switches today. Still would not turn off. The I got to thinking, this is a "ground on" system, meaning something has to ground (switch, etc) to turn the lights on. I just recently upgraded to LED's and I remember when I screwed the dome lamp back up to the roof, it was a little off center. What I did was pinch one of the wires, grounding it. Rerouted the wiring. All fixed now!

Last edited:

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this samme exact issue.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 Via Tapatalk

1998, CHEVROLET Silverado z71, extended cab.
350 v8, Vortech Engine