Help 88 wiper motor repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunsNTrucks

Reaction score
Need a little help.

I recently picked up a cherry 88 SCSB. 5.7 w 97k original miles.

I'm pretty sure the wiper delay module S the Bed. (The wipers are possessed) Here is the catch. When I go to the auto parts store (any of them) they all want to sell me the horse shoe shaped module. It's not the right one. They don't show any other listing. Here is a pic of my motor and mod.

You must be registered for see images attach

I can't find anything on the net about this. I think that the whole motor assembly (not just the delay mod) needs to be upgraded.

I think I found a clue. LMC Truck lists a wiper motor for 88-98 but then lists the delay module for 1991 to 1998. A note indicates that the delay module will work for 88-90 with "updated wiper motor". So my questions are this:
1) Has anyone come across this issue?
2) What is an upgrade motor? Just a newer year? If so is the bolt pattern the same?
3) Is the plug connector the same? If not what issues are involved in converting it?

No garage at the moment. It's still really cold here in WNY. When I go to replace this stuff, I want to be prepared so I don't have to screw around chasing parts and or wires.

I figured you guys would know the answers to this issue. Thanks for your help.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Schizophrenic wipers are a common issue. I do not know about a variant on the wiper motor but no doubt someone will. There are some good threads on here about fixing the wiper controller which is likely your problem. If you have basic soldering skills you can re-flow the solder joints in the controller and that usually clears up the problem. You will need to search for those threads. Good luck and make sure and report the solution and any info about a different motor.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 88-90 wiper motor is significantly different than the 91-up. Obviously the pulse board from 91-up which is the commonly available one, will not fit the older design motor.

You can usually repair the board in the 88-90 motor, it's just a little more work to get it out of the motor; some of the screws aren't as easily accessed and you have to be careful with the tabs on the cover so that you don't break them during removal. Get it apart and resolder the joints where the harness socket attaches to the board.

Or, swap the whole thing for the 91-up motor. It suffers from the same bad solder joints but is much easier to repair later.

Richard

GunsNTrucks

Reaction score
Thank you Someotherguy. Does the 91 motor bolt right up the same as the old one or does it require some sort of mod?

Also is the electrical connector the same or will I need to cut and replace the plug?

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 88 has three positions off/low/high. No delay. So the upgraded motor is most likely one with the delay logic board integrated. Wonder if someone had replaced the board with the delay module already. Ask for a 92 wiper motor with delay and see if that looks like yours.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Providing the truck is already equipped with intermittent (delay) wipers, the 1991-up motor (with intermittent feature) is a direct swap both physically and electrically. You just slap it in there.

Also worth mentioning you posted in the "Garage" section which is mostly for discussing tools/work methods. It doesn't get much traffic. A post like this you would probably want to put in "Audio & Electronics" or something like that...I know for some reason it does take people some time to catch on to how this forum is organized. No disrespect intended at all. I have even had people PM me asking how to start a new post, I don't know if it's people coming in on mobile devices/tablets and it just lays out wrong, or what.

Richard

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same problem on my 90 a few years back and had to buy the whole deal. Was the only way they sold em. I don't recall it being very expensive either.

GunsNTrucks

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help, knowledge and advise. I now know better as to where to post such questions.