Hellwig rear swaybar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Hellwig rear sway bar on their GMT400? Can't quit figure out how everything mounts from the picture. The main bar to the rear is simple enough.
I' away from my garage for a while and don't want to weld anything. Plus I just detailed my frame..

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/7555k.html

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Did you already buy that?
Josh (FastOrange) had one of those on his long-gone orange RCSB.
He'll have the experience & may have some pix.

I used a sway bar off of a 400 SUV.
IIRC less than $50.00 for the bar & the mounts. ($25.00? It was years ago. A lot less than that hellwig, anyway.)
Make sure to get the bracket bolts & the specific nuts. They have a cam on them that bump up against the inner frame rail so that the bolts can be tightened. Can't get a tool in there to hold them.
Couple of bucks more for 2, 3" Heavy Duty muffler clamps & some new urethane bushings.

You must be registered for see images attach

Before the new end link bushings.
Had to drill 4 holes for the brackets. one of those had to fit over top of a big frame rivet. I just drilled a larger hole in the bracket to fit over.

The muffler clamps fit between the shock mounts on the axle. One points forward, the other reverse.
You want the heavy duty ones, because they're made of a larger gauge, plus they're longer.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I run one on my Nissan Hardbody that I autocross with. Does make a difference but I ended up replacing/upgrading the mounting hardware, it was cheap. The bar itself is expensive for how cheap the hardware is...at least for the Hardbody trucks.

Diminus

Reaction score
Are the sway bars that important on these trucks or do you guys just tow a lot? I removed it from the burban when I lifted it. Seems to handle fine but if people recommend it IL fire that bad boy back in with new longer links .

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sewlow,
No cutting the doner off or welding it on?
I'm hoping to stiffen up my rear sincd my bed isn't bolted on like most.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sewlow,
No cutting the doner off or welding it on?
I'm hoping to stiffen up my rear sincd my bed isn't bolted on like most.

Nope. No cutting.
The factory mounts are integral to the shock mounts. More'n likely, a ***** to remove.
Both my trucks rear sway bars are just bolted on.
You can see the M/clamps in the 1st & 3rd pix I posted.
Yes, the Hellwigs mount high, over top of the diff. Most, but not all, of their's are done this way.
But, if you look at how other Co's design the mounts for an aftermarket bar for a truck not factory equipped, the set-up is virtually identical.

There's this style, where there are bolts that attach at each side of the end of the bar, with rubber bushed uprights & into brackets.
This is the same as a factory GM style, other than the mounts which are a part of the shock mount.

Then there's this style which attaches through the ends, bottom to top. This is the style of the majority Hellwig's design's.

But, both Belltech & Hellwig make either/or, & both are bolt on.

Last edited:

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Second (bottom) picture is similar to mine, Which has traditional end-links like front bar does...

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Belltech site doesn't show a rear sway bar for my truck.
I only see one rear sway bar listed on the Hellwig site, #7555
I don't think a sway bar that mounts above the rear would work for me since I have Air Lift air bags.
Where do I find an aftermarket factory style kit?