Heavy Duty Front end. Questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SC_Chevy

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could lend some advise about how to beef up the the old 1500 independent suspension.
4” Suspension lift w/ 35/12.50 on stock 16x
Honestly getting tired of constantly replacing Balljoints and Tie rods (Yes I knew wear and tear would arise from lifting the truck) just wondering if there is any heavy duty replacement parts, maybe off of the k2500’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the light 2500 is basically the same set up as a 1500 and uses the same parts. While the 2500 HD stuff won't interchange on a 1500. Reason being, the upper control arms are spread apart about 2"s wider than that off a 1500, the spindles/knuckle is different, 4 bolts bearings as opposed to 3 with the 1500 and the upper ball joint is different too.
With modifying/moving the 1500's front upper bracket location comes all sorts of other mods.. including changing out the front diff.. as the HD CV's are different... there's a lot involved. I'm in the later stages of doing a 1500 to 2500 HD
I'm not sure if Moog problem solver ball joints are any better or last longer... somebody will probably chime in...

biggbiker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could lend some advise about how to beef up the the old 1500 independent suspension.
4” Suspension lift w/ 35/12.50 on stock 16x
Honestly getting tired of constantly replacing Balljoints and Tie rods (Yes I knew wear and tear would arise from lifting the truck) How many miles are we talkin here between these parts waring out ? like 10-15k miles or 40k ? I would hope for atleast 60-70k Anyone ?

SC_Chevy

Reaction score
Probably around 20-30. I usually baby it. (Meaning not turning fast, or turning 100% left or right)

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced my entire front end last summer with all HD Moog components and they seemed to be of excellent quality, maybe even built a little better than the OEM stuff our trucks came with. I'm sure they'll at least withstand the same volume of wear and abuse the stock components did, if not 5-10 percent more. Of course they aren't a substitute for 2500 parts, which by their very nature through design are heavier duty and will likely hold up better to 35's. My old front end was factory and my truck has ran 33's all of it's life with 140K on the clock. I'm sure the Moog stuff will last me many years without hassle.

camaroman101

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gonna try reaming out my steering link this summer, and replacing the tie rods with k30 drag links. Lower balljoints for the forged control arms are 2mm bigger, the forged arms are swappable for the stamped, not sure if the bearing stud is any bigger. No clue about the upper ball joint. Does the frontend really need to be replaced every 20-30k miles with 35s?

Last edited:

SC_Chevy

Reaction score
Gonna try reaming out my steering link this summer, and replacing the tie rods with k30 drag links. Lower balljoints for the forged control arms are 2mm bigger, the forged arms are swappable for the stamped, not sure if the bearing stud is any bigger. No clue about the upper ball joint. Does the frontend really need to be replaced every 20-30k miles with 35s?

Unfortunately yes, that’s why I’m getting so frustrated. The alignment is constantly off from the smallest of bumps, then once I check everything, it’s cambered in and on the verge of destruction. My balljoints last alittle longer then the tire rods. But iv has the truck for alittle of 50k and replaced the whole front end from the start and since then iv replaced lower and upper controls arms 1 time, and this will make the 3rd set of tie rods in 50k along with a upper driver control arm. So 2 sets of control arms, and 2 sets of tie rods. Going to put the control arm and tie rods in this weekend. And I’ll keep track of how many miles I get out of them.