Heater/blends door ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A couple quick searches didn't pull much up, and I'm trying to get my ducks together before I dig in. Pertains to 92RCSB 4x i believe I'm posting in the right section.

I have a new blend door actuator for the far right by the blower motor as it's clicking. So I know that one is bad. 7 button controller. Turn key on and the temp bar flashes, then quits. Each key on/off the actuator in the center cycles. With the truck running if I hold the temp bar to the hot side the door will cycle over and I get heat. The mode door seems to work fine floor thru defrost. Every once in a while I'll get a little gurgle from behind the dash. I suspect a heater core, but I haven't noticed any coolant or loss thereof. I also came across some info where if the a/c is not working can also cause issues, but can't seem to pull it back up to verify.

I'm thinking the center actuator is fine? Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks for any input

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one by the blower motor is for the fresh air/recirculate function. Knocking/clicking/popping is typical when it goes bad. Be sure you got the right actuator for that function. I did a write-up with pics on replacing it; don't believe the manual that tells you that you have to pull the dash as it is totally not necessary.

Usually the temperature bar flashing is bad temperature mix actuator. This is the one in the middle of the dash pretty much behind the center vents. They don't often go bad, but I have seen a few over the years.

Gurgle is absolutely air in the system. It can even be from a very tiny leak. For the last one I worked on, it ended up needing intake gaskets. Heard it gurgle for nearly a year before it finally got bad enough to show signs of a small amount of coolant dripping down the front of the head. Throw a pressure tester on your radiator, just be sure not to exceed the rated 16 lbs when you pump it up.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for confirming my suspicions lol. I've seen a few vids of the process to get it in. Doesn't look like fun. Guess I'll order the center one. I do have a pressure tester somewhere.

How would I find the write up?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't have the specific link handy on my phone but go to chevytalk.org forums, 88-98 fullsize truck section, and it's linked in the FAQ I set up over there.

Richard