heated o2 necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Putting in a flowmaster y250300s y pipe and a high flow cat (already have a FM muffler single to duel turndown). Will the single wire o2 sensor heat up fine or will i need a heated o2 with the upgrade? 95 1/2 ton

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer heated at all times if possible, since they don't rely on the engine for heat, they warm up much faster, go in to closed loop sooner, and just perform much better, I have converted several older 1 wire trucks in to the 3 wire by using the 95 3 wire sensor.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to check.. did these trucks come with heated ones as well I don't remember but I think I saw 2 wires when I was under deciding to swap in a new cat.

Thanks draggin99 might as well swap if I don't have a heated since a new y pipe, cat, and o2 bung is going in.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 95 had a heated 3 wire OE, ans so have all the other 95's I have seen, but it's possible yours could be different. They made the switch in late 94, the early 94's had a non heated one wire and the late 94's had the 3 wire.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks thought I might be imagining it... too cold to check now. Was less restriction on the engine notable in hp? Debating on cam or body lift.

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 95 had a heated 3 wire OE, ans so have all the other 95's I have seen, but it's possible yours could be different. They made the switch in late 94, the early 94's had a non heated one wire and the late 94's had the 3 wire.

94-95 autos got a 3 wire heated, manuals got a 1 wire non heated. It's EASY to add in a 3 wire, and I do it whenever I replace an O2 sensor as they jsut work better all around.

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
94-95 autos got a 3 wire heated, manuals got a 1 wire non heated. It's EASY to add in a 3 wire, and I do it whenever I replace an O2 sensor as they jsut work better all around.

That's interesting, I have never worked on a standard gmt 400 at all.
I think some of the 4L80E equipped trucks also got the 1 wire O2 sensor. It's tough figuring out why GM did this on this truck, but not the next. GM has been one CONFUSING company through the years.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the info guys. I still haven't looked... rebuilt the drums and put a SS rear line and bled everything right before it started pouring. I'm sure it has a heated one now but I'll post my finding with a pic tomorrow.

yes confusing for sure.... I hate how nearly every part had 2 options... shoes, drums, differential gaskets, bushings, etc... have to order things as I go instead of one large order to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

One less thing to worry about.. thought my year had one wire.