Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i used the permatex stuff when i redid my headliner. needed over a can from A to B pillar. did not hold up in some places.

weldwood contact adhesive is MUCH better to use. i redid it with this glue using heavy foam backed stitched vinyl and its holding up great.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If Sewlow says 3M 90 then 3M 90 is what you should use. As he once pointed out you don't want to be wearing your headliner at the wrong moment in a sudden stop.

Sewlow has done more headliners than most of us have had dinners and that is the kind of good advice I tend to listen to. There are several products which 'might' work but this is one wheel I don't want to reinvent. I have 3M 90 on order.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I use the Weldwood stuff on darn near everything. It's the 'go-to'.
From just a light mist to hold scrim onto foam when doing pleats, to heavy coats when gluing vinyl roofs that have to stay in place @ 100+ mph.
It gets stronger with age.
Yes. I've used it for H/L's too. Especially custom ones with 3D details. That requires a foam heavier than the actual 'real' H/L material.
But it's age sensitive. The manufacturer says it's good for six months in the can. I've had a 5 gallon can last a year, no problem. After that, it starts to get a little too thick to spray through my gun. I just use an El-Cheapo automotive siphon style gun.
Smallest size I'm aware of is a 1 gallon can.
But for the average home workshop guy, even that may be too much, due to that shelf-life expectancy.
Although, when it does start to get thick, I use it for brush-on applications in tight areas or small jobs where spraying would not be feasible.
For a one-time job of doing a H/L in a personal vehicle, the 3M stuff, expensive as it is for a single can (I buy a 1/2 case at a time. 1 dozen.) it still performs the best in that situation.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
I used heads up' adhesive 10 years ago and it's still holding up. still looks brand new.
the thing that wears out is the foam. don't use it and you will have many years of use. i bought my fabric from Walmart.
Do NOT buy fabric with foam backing.
You WILL REGRET IT.
speaking from experience.......not 'hear say'.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Probably get away with one can but I'd like a second on hand just in case.
No experience with the Permatex stuff.
I've been using the 3M 90 & 76 for 40 years, now. It's always worked well for that job. Never had a comeback using them.
Doing things 2x has never been a money-making proposition. Especially in a one-man operation. Lol!
If my headliner is intact with no issues can I just put the new fabric over it or do I have to remove it?