Headlight Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylans95Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to get clear headlights and led bulbs for my truck once my tax return gets here. Already have a custom built 4hi heavy duty headlight harness built and installed. Going with superbright leds headlight bulbs. Who makes the best clear headlights? Id prefer a glass set, but plastic works as well. I dont mind spending money on clear headlights as its the only light I will be upgrading on the front.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
you shouldn't put LED's into a stock or aftermarket styled reflector housing. it just doesn't work properly.
to put it simply, an LED can't reproduce the same qualities of "light" emitted by a halogen bulb.....a quality reflector and lens is designed for a particular BULB, not a "drop in" LED masquerading as a bulb.......it's also not legal to do it for that reason. an LED can not mimic a filament.....no matter what the advertisement or the box it comes in says.

nobody makes an LED replacement for our trucks' sealed composites or the quad lamp setup from '88-'90.

if you absolutely have to have an LED headlight system, convert your grill assembly to a W/T style dual single lamp setup and buy a quality legal headlight from a good company that make them....such as J.W. Speaker, for example....not the impostor **** on e-bay.

or you can add an auxiliary headlight system to the front of your truck. buy a set lights that were DESIGNED from scratch to work as a lamp.....again, made by a good quality company.

there is no such thing as an LED "bulb"......diodes can be arranged to look like a standard bulb, but there is no glass, gas or filament involved.

PS....i can vouch for the Spyder lights glass units.....see mine here...lots of info from good folks, i'm not done yet either...better make some coffee:
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dylans95Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shovelbill- thanks for the info will start reading through that

Df2x4- the 2 reasons I want glass is they wont yellow, and I figured they be better for the type of wheeling I do. Which is mostly blast through large snow piles and drifts in the winter.

coolman1987us

Reaction score
Autolumination.com has high output halogen bulbs. They may or may not be legal but they work great. I use the 80/100 watt bulbs with the aftermarket harness and its twice the light on high beam.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Just to put in my two cents about LED Headlight bulbs. I am running stock style headlight lenses. Purchased the 2006 and 2005 bulbs of this brand https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L1NLR1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

I've always been skeptical about plug and play LEDs in stock headlight lenses until I saw them on a friends truck. These ones seem to be designed to use your reflector in your headlight lenses to project the light.

I am super surprised and happy with these ones and their light output. They produce 4 times the light as the stock halogen bulbs. The other thing is they are not so blue compared to a lot of them out there.

Here is some pics although cameras can never do justice then in person.
You must be registered for see images attach

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Just to put in my two cents about LED Headlight bulbs. I am running stock style headlight lenses. Purchased the 2006 and 2005 bulbs of this brand https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L1NLR1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

I've always been skeptical about plug and play LEDs in stock headlight lenses until I saw them on a friends truck. These ones "seem to be designed to use your reflector in your headlight lenses to project the light."

I am super surprised and happy with these ones and their light output. They produce 4 times the light as the stock halogen bulbs. The other thing is they are not so blue compared to a lot of them out there.

Here is some pics although cameras can never do justice then in person.

Wrong. 100% wrong.

Although they may have a similar base, they are not a compatible item at all. Optics require precision, not by gosh by golly accuracy. Can you put on someone else's prescription eyeglasses and proclaim you can see correctly?

You might be super surprised to learn that the light pattern is too bright in the foreground, while driving, this causes your pupils to constrict, as a result, your distance vision is lowered. Just looking at the bottom picture, I can tell the radiation pattern is like 'spokes of a wheel'.

The only bulb that works correctly in a halogen reflector housing is a HALOGEN bulb, period. No ifs, and's, or but's. One that has the correct filament placement WRT to the reflector.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Here's a picture of premium halogen bulbs in an aftermarket housing with proper voltage though a relay system, while the pattern may not be as optimum as an OE housing.

np4-jpg.44827

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Shovelbill- thanks for the info will start reading through that

Df2x4- the 2 reasons I want glass is they wont yellow, and I figured they be better for the type of wheeling I do. Which is mostly blast through large snow piles and drifts in the winter.

the other bad thing about LED's is they don't melt ice and snow in cold climates, they don't get hot enough....unless they're specifically designed to do so.....again, by companies that actually spend money to DESIGN them through a good R&D program.

good lighting will help you navigate safely and give you time to react to obstacles, animals and hazards etc......WITHOUT blinding the **** out of oncoming traffic.....cheap lighting is often copied by the chinashitz and sold at "deep discounts".....the counterfeit industry is alive and well.....and provides you with GARBAGE.

check this out:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media