headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got the shorties from ebay up in and working except the collectors leak now on the stock y-pipe. what are a good way around this? cause its becoming an annoyance trying to constanly figure our these leaks...
is there maybe a good ypipe that will match or a way to stop the leak. otherwise trucks runs the same as it did before i installed them

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I sure hope you got the headers with the built in doughnut flange because all they really need to bolt up correctly is the new hardware kit.
If you bought the headers with those pain in da arzzzzz reducers I wish you lots of good luck trying to get them to deal because they can be a royal pain.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea they got the built in donuts i don't really think i torqued them down as much as i could i kinda wanted to get it done because it was getting late and we got straight line winds...but i'll retorque everything tomorrow. another problem was my head is missing one of the manifold holes...so i had to uses a ton of the exhaust cement on that part of the gasket

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always use 2 sets of Felpro # 5184266 Exhaust Manifold Gaskets and new Grade 8 3/8x 2" bolts, lock washers & nuts. When you tighten your Y-pipe nuts be sure to draw them up even (each a little at a time). If you tighten them 1 at a time all the way up the flange won't seal correctly and will leak.

I hope you changed your spark plugs before installing those headers because if you didn't you'll wish you did if they're do for a change anytime soon.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
need to make sure your pipes are lined up good, mine could move and I could put them on not centered or not dead on and it not seal on one side. tightening one bolt at a time does the same thing, take each bolt in a turn or two then move to another, keep doing that and you should be good to go, unless the y pipe flange is just screwed. or you didn't put the donut back in did ya?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I sure hope you got the headers with the built in doughnut flange because all they really need to bolt up correctly is the new hardware kit.
If you bought the headers with those pain in da arzzzzz reducers I wish you lots of good luck trying to get them to deal because they can be a royal pain.

Orange high-temp silicone is your friend :wink:, used that stuff on my collector gaskets, haven't had one leak yet.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the alum. ones from percy's on flange style, works great, but if you can get some with ball ends or buy the header buddies, I'd do it.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well its got the built in donuts is the same headers you got swims i think? but yea i'm gonna re tighten it all this afternoon and see if it fixes any thing. right now the leak isn't overly bad but its just a little anoyance. but i might take my whole y pipe down with the cat and replace the o2 and get my cat gutted. but u think copper silicon will do it? cause i got a whole tube un opened that i could use or some of that industrial exhaust cement

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same problem with mine and Im using the edlebrock Y-pipe. Every few months I have to tighten the bolts on the collectors next time I need to do it Im going to try the high temp ATV

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea mines got the built in donut, I thought maybe you threw the donut gasket in along with it. I would loosen them all up, center it good and work em down jumping around as mentioned above a turn or two at a time then keep going until they are all tight. I didn't use anything on mine. If you had a manifold bolt missing that could be the leak, but why is it missing?