Header questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As long as the Y pipe and the pipe it is connected to is 1.5 times bigger as the 2 pipes going into it, it will flow the same as 2 pipes the same size all the way back will flow. The area in a 1-3 inch pipe is the same as the area in 2-2 inch pipes. Also a Y pipe will have a scavenge effect. It will help pull exhaust from the side that is not flowing at the time, and will do the same for the other side when it is not flowing. So as the exhaust goes by the left side pipe, it will pull pressure from the right pipe, and the other way around.

wonslung

Reaction score
Yah. My original confusion was regarding the y pipe. I thought the exhaust shop was saying they couldn't be altered when in fact they were saying they wouldn't modify it to an h or x pipe. I can put headers, a new mid pipe, a high flow cat and everything back and be totally legal. I'm fine with that.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
What they won't do is change from one converter to two or change the location of the converter. That was probably what they were getting at.

You can put on the headers and new y pipe and have the shop do the rest, as long as it's a single converter in the same location.

wonslung

Reaction score
Yup. I totally get this now.

Now i just have to research a lot.

I want the best bang for my buck but I also need it to be simple enough for me to install.

I'm very mechanically inclined (I rebuilt a pressure washer pump from parts and a diagram) but automotive is really new to me.

So far this is the work I've done myself on the truck:

Oil change
Plugs
Wires
Distributor cap
Rotor button
EGR valve
Fuel filter
Air filter
Pcv valve
Shocks front and rear
Made a wiring harness to add headlight relays (and wired In a diode to get the 4 highs)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things but mostly tune up crap.

My biggest problem is I have hands like chewbacca and I'm 6'5 and 350 pounds.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
The headers and y pipe are just nuts and bolts. It may take a while, but it's easily doable if you are mechanically inclined.