Header questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wonslung

Reaction score
I have a 94 5.0 tbi. I am looking to do a dual exaust soon. I was wondering what people think the best "bang for your buck" shorty headers are.

I am pretty new to working on cars but I've learned a ton on this truck. It's my understanding that if I get shorty headers they should mount right up to the current exaust system. I know it probably won't make a ton of difference until I actually upgrade the exhaust system but anything I can do myself will save me money.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on what you want out of them. Want them to look pretty and/or last forever? Spend the $5-600 on some nice stainless JBA or Gibson shorties. Want them to just work, and don't care about them rusting up? Get some $180 Pacesetters or Summit brand painted shorties and call it a day.

wonslung

Reaction score
Depends on what you want out of them. Want them to look pretty and/or last forever? Spend the $5-600 on some nice stainless JBA or Gibson shorties. Want them to just work, and don't care about them rusting up? Get some $180 Pacesetters or Summit brand painted shorties and call it a day.

I want them to last but I don't particularly care how they look. I'm on the fence whether or not to get shorties or long tube. I intend to do a full exhaust system so I may just wait and do long tubes. Either way I want them to last as long as possible. It's a 3rd generation truck and I'd like to pass it on to my kids if I have any (or my brothers kids if I don't$

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

wonslung

Reaction score
I went to a local exhaust shop and they won't put a dual exhaust on. They said it's illegal. I called another couple places and it seems to be the case

I know other folks who have put dual exhaust on and added a second catalytic converter and haven't had issues (with other vehicles) but the law seems to suggest that if it wasn't an option it's probably not legal.

So I guess I am stuck with a cat back and shorties. I am going to research it more I guess.

I live in Virginia.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Some states are tougher than others with this. It just isn't worth the hassle/risk for many exhaust shops to do stuff like this most of the time. Even though going to dual cats may do the same thing, legally it's not allowed. The Flowtechs in the thread above that I linked to go to a single cat. They should be legal.

wonslung

Reaction score
But isn't the y pipe a bottle neck?
They told me they would put a high flow cat on. I'm fine with complying with the law but I want to get the best bang for my buck while doing it.

Thanks so much for the help guys

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
The factory y pipe is a bottleneck. The one that is available for the flowtechs is a better option. Look through the thread I linked to.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I have Thorley tri y's on my vortec. I would have really looked at the flowtechs if I had a TBI.