Header question .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dshirk

Reaction score
Hello everyone,I have a 98 k1500 e.c. 5.7 vortec ,will 97 headers fit ? If not what is the difference ?Thanks for your time .

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I know if it will. Or should (Assuming the 97 was also a vortec 350). The difference usually is how well it will fit (the bending to clear certain objects in the engine bay) from my experience.

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Long tubes generally wont work on the 4x4 trucks. If theyre shorties and they fit on the 97 theyll fit on your truck.

Last edited:

Dshirk

Reaction score
Long tubes generally wont work on the 4x4 trucks. If theyre shorties and they fit on the 97 theyll fit on your truck.
Thanks man ,I ordered a set from ebay ,then noticed afterwards the ad says they are for up to 97 ,yes they are shorties ,my stock manifold on driver side has a tube/pipe going from near collector to back of intake (smog ?) ill just block that off I suppose .

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Thanks man ,I ordered a set from ebay ,then noticed afterwards the ad says they are for up to 97 ,yes they are shorties ,my stock manifold on driver side has a tube/pipe going from near collector to back of intake (smog ?) ill just block that off I suppose .
If you block it off you won't pass emissions if you live in an emissions state. If not, by all means block it off, but your probably going to want to get a tube to tune out the egr.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing he's from New York you might need to check if the new shorties have a Air Injection tube for EGR much like your current manifold does. I've been told New York is the new California when it comes to emissions.

Dshirk

Reaction score
Seeing he's from New York you might need to check if the new shorties have a Air Injection tube for EGR much like your current manifold does. I've been told New York is the new California when it comes to emissions.
There is currently no "sniff" test just OBD 2 check and ofcourse safety ,and now most recently window tint check lol.The new headers do not have that air tube just an O2 bung as it looks to me .

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that's the case you should be fine. My 99 with OBS past OBD 2 test / Gas CAP (AZ Emissions) with shorties and blown out cat (Never gave me a code just got louder one day (lol). My truck now gets classified with all the diesels and semis so I go through a full inspection now.. (So damn stupid)