Has anyone have this happen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure, then unhook the fuel line at the throttle body and check the flow. Had a 89 T-Bird once that the pump put out good pressure but very little flow.

Uncle Jed

Reaction score
Hot day driving normal then the truck starts running rough. Got to the station for gas and add some and push on the accelerator and the truck can barely make it home. It surges when idling so I changed out the fuel filter ( which had bits of rubber in it about 5k miles since the last change) If I plug up the map vacuum hose it idles better but still won't accelerate only very light throttle in third gear . Checked it for vacuum leaks, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the plugs and cap and rotor and by passed the charcoal canister. Just before it happened, there was a alot of pressure in the fuel tank when I took off the cap. This truck is all original with 106k miles. Never had a a problem with it for 8 years. Not sure it is the fuel pump or the the distributor that's acting up. If I park on a slight incline, it's harder to start. It no longer starts right away anymore either. I would just start changing part by part but don't have the funds to do it here since I just got laid off. Only code I get sometimes is too lean.
( 90 Silverado 350 TBi 700r4)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Doug in P.R. :)
I had an 88 that did that...I changed the temp sending unit...8 bucks....defective one sends false info to computer that engine is cold & adds more fuel. like a closed choke.

Reaction score
When my egr valve goes bad I always get a service engine light. I would take the battery cable loose also and leave it off for 20 seconds and put it back on and reset the ECM. I have cleared problems like that. Does not cost anything. I would check the fuel pressure for sure.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Installed egr block off plate, no change. On to the fuel.

Doug in P.R.:)
You must be registered for see images attach

Alright, now you have eliminated anything to do with the EGR. Fuel pressure and flow should be the next step in the diagnostics. Don't succumb to the temptation to start throwing parts at it. Do the checks.

mson

Reaction score
I agree with kauila's post above. I have a 1989 5.7 TBI. A few years back I was having a moderate to severe surge at idle, fuel pressure showed on the low end of acceptable range (10psi if I recall correctly). When I lowered the tank and removed fuel pump, I found the short piece of rubber hose from the fuel pump to the fuel line (inside the fuel tank) had a split in it, allowing fuel to leak out. I replaced the pump since it was exposed already, but the main problem was the split rubber fuel line. It's only a couple inches long.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And the winner is: fuel pump hose and pickup screen!

Hose was more like a sponge and had split , pickup screen was all torn up, changed the pump for piece of mind, decided to go for it instead of waiting for $ 20 worth of parts ( fitting and gauge ) to check fuel pressure off EBay. $66 for lifetime pump and 1 year warranty screen from AutoZone.

Plugged in the map and it runs fine , idles a little low ( which could be from limp mode since I disconnected the battery) drove it in the yard , no stalling even with the a/c on , longer trip in the am tomorrow.

Thanks to all here who suggested of what might of been the problem, and gave me the clues to what it was likely it.

Thank you , Doug in P.R.:)