Has anyone have this happen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doughnuts

Reaction score
Should be free, if you return it within the 90 days or whatever it is. But yeah that's what I would be checking for, especially with all the symptoms the fuel filter showed . There's a bunch of YouTube videos of people hooking up the testers by the filter. There is also away to get one hooked up to a tbi, though a bit more involved it's something to do if you're ever taking it apart to rebuild or the tbi mods to it.

And no I don't think any gmt 400 was built with corn fuel in mind lol.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the propane test, no changes. AutoZone wants $179 deposit to rent the fuel pressure tester. :( Probably buy the test fitting online and get a gauge off EBay.
Cleaned up the grounds, idling better with the map sensor line plugged.

Doug in P.R.:)

Doughnuts

Reaction score
You could get one of these and buy a cheap gauge from harbor freight or online.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ANM-01800001465

Buddy of mine has one and it's one of the fastest way to troubleshoot the fuel system.

I still think it's your fuel pump though. I had a suburban that had the exact symptoms, but I never suspect the fuel pump becuase it would still run. Just any throttle use would instantly kill it .Wound up giving up and took it to a mechanic and the first thing he asked me if it's the original fuel pump. And yeah with 25 years and 170k miles under it's belt it finally gave up. I was sure glad I had them do it cause it was a hefty 35 gallon tank on that girl that you couldn't just pull the bed off .

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and the link. What pump did they get for you? Delphi or Delco or some cheap brand?

28 years old and only 106 k miles.

Luckily I can tilt the bed ,mines a 34 gallon too.

Wife drives it cause the a/c works....:) Sunbird needs some parts still.

Doug in P.R.:)

Doughnuts

Reaction score
I believe I just used a cheapie at the time . unfortunately that's been a couple years, and i don't recall . And I didn't really have it long enough afterwards to find out , a deer made sure of that.

I'm planning on installing an ac Delco pump in my 91 when I can get a couple guys together to help me lift my truck bed off lol.

Here's a really good article of a guy installing a pump into his truck .

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/612473-tbi-fuel-pump-upgrade.html

There's a bunch of info on that site so if it's and electrical gremlin you're after then I would go searching over there . I mean our trucks are essentially giant Camaros really, lot of the same electrical systems. Same engines and transmissions .

I have also seen a bunch of write ups on replacing the fuel pump on this website too. So do a bit of searching and you'll find it .

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, you only have to lift the front of the bed up , not off. ( Did it on my S10 in Arizona)

Just used a rachet strap and an engine hoist and a 4x4 chunk of wood for safety.

I'll also have a headache rack and wires to deal with on my bed.

Probably change the hoses to ethanol safe ones also.

Doug in P.R. :)

Doughnuts

Reaction score
Well unfortunately I don't have access to an engine hoist. But I was also gonna go ahead and do the old rust prevention and removal. Salt is a bit cruel around here in the winters and I'd figure that I might as well get two birds with one stone :D. Let us know if you ever figure out what the issue is, like I said I'm pretty sure it's just a bad pump.