gstubbz's trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just random info for you but that Idaho plate is from North Idaho, Kootenai County next to Spokane Wa to be specific.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost like ur ashamed to have my burb in the pic Haha. Ya bringing up your other post, cnt give my spindles away but I'll keep an eye out, the eco truck would look badass with a little lift an some other stuff.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm interested in how can you tell?
I lived in Idaho for 14 years, all normal plates start with a prefix for the county K = Kootenai there are also 1B-9B, N, and a bunch of others. But you can transfer plates also so its not full proof but pretty good. I used to be able to get you close to a year also about 2011 they went flat plates instead of stamped plates.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lived in Idaho for 14 years, all normal plates start with a prefix for the county K = Kootenai there are also 1B-9B, N, and a bunch of others. But you can transfer plates also so its not full proof but pretty good. I used to be able to get you close to a year also about 2011 they went flat plates instead of stamped plates.

Interesting. Up here in nor cal we have a lot of ranchers who go up to Idaho to buy trucks. Mainly from Dave Smith though ha.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. Up here in nor cal we have a lot of ranchers who go up to Idaho to buy trucks. Mainly from Dave Smith though ha.
Dave Smith is up the road 30ish miles from my parents house. Now Dave Smith has places all around the area.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Just random info for you but that Idaho plate is from North Idaho, Kootenai County next to Spokane Wa to be specific.

Dang! Interesting to know. My grandma actually lives in Rexford, MT and everything up there seems to have a name similar to Kootenai. And like @GarrettGmc we see a whole bunch of Dave Smith trucks down here. The pink/black paper plate is recognizable a mile away. Didn't expect so many people here to go up there and buy a truck but it's true!

Almost like ur ashamed to have my burb in the pic Haha. Ya bringing up your other post, cnt give my spindles away but I'll keep an eye out, the eco truck would look badass with a little lift an some other stuff.

I'll get a better pic in the future, or maybe mine and your future cummins! Keep an eye out lol I want a little lift for it so it doesn't look too much like a base model!

gstubbz

Reaction score
So a little update today!

The gauge cluster in my green truck was being weird, and the odo/trip meter didn't work and I thought the fuel gauge was broken so I swapped clusters. Turns out it actually needed gas! But at least with the replacement cluster I now have a working odo/trip meter.

Then on the 6.5 I installed some fuel line that I robbed of my 6.5 parts truck. Ended up taking the piece that connects to the lift pump and goes up to the intake, then cut the hose out of it and that's what I used. Some hose clamps were too far gone so I managed to find some. The oil pressure sender was melted and I didn't feel like trying to pull one (1'-1/16" socket/wrench is needed) from the other truck so I bought a new one. All of the progress for today. Nothing crazy but I'll put some more effort into it tomorrow. I'll probably grab the shopvac and clean that valley up a bit more. It's still super gross.

I managed to find a complete front diff/transfer case harness laying in the back 40 so I grabbed that and I'll use it with the 6.5 since that harness was also trashed. I'll install that tomorrow too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Side project, tomorrow I am helping Tyler fix our friend Steve's blue 95 that I posted about on the forums somewhere a while back. We removed the 350 heads the last time I talked about it and tomorrow we are finally putting the cleaned up heads back on with new head bolts and that good stuff. Would be nice to see it running and driving again!

gstubbz

Reaction score
Another update! As far as the blue 95 RCSB we are working on, after cleaning the heads found a broken exhaust bolt so Tyler was able to make this contraption to hold the head into place and use a drill press to drill the bolt out. Worked out well enough but we didn't have a tap/die set so he can resume fixing that whenever he finds a kit.

As far as the 6.5 goes, I installed most of the new engine harness back in the truck. I paid a guy a while back for the front diff/transfer case harness and still have not seen it, so I just shot him another text message asking about it. I tried using the one from my 95 parts gasser truck, three of the connectors are the same but the actual connector that connects to the engine harness is way different.

I also removed the thermostat housing so I could replace it with another that Tyler cleaned up for me and installed a nipple so that I can run a coolant hose without the stupid quick connect fitting and I found out that the thermostat was actually removed from the truck and the coolant system was wide open. No big deal, added a thermostat to my purchase list. I also need to find another hose clamp for the other side of that coolant hose.

This diesel doesn't need much more. Mainly intake, thermostat, wiring, batteries, fuel, a few little things, then wheels and tires and then it should be good to go. I'll replace the wiper motor and master cylinder when I know the truck actually runs. Then at that point clean it up a bit so it doesn't look like everything was super melted.

But it's getting close! Probably will be a few weeks before I get back to it again. Side note, I totally cracked my screen on my iPhone 7 right after taking those photos. Was putting tools away and my phone hit the side of the bumper and the screen cracked. Still upset about that but no biggie, bought a new screen and battery for $73 and I'll fix it myself. Damn trucks.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Quite a few little updates for the past few weeks! I've been silent. Still have not touched the HD project at all.

So first up was the 1995 K1500 Tyler finished putting head gaskets on. We buttoned it all back up last week and he could not make it run at all after fighting it for 3 days, I turn the distributor 10 degrees counter clockwise and the dang thing fired right to life! Sometimes I have the magic touch. So we proceeded to time it along with filling the coolant system and all that good stuff. It runs terrible and would not even run on the gas that was in the truck, put in 5 gallons of fresh new stuff and that seemed to clear it up a bit, but still needs more new fresh gas. So that's where this truck is at! Lucky Friday the 13th... I made it run and drive!

Next on the list is the 94 6.5, I put about two days of effort into this thing after working on the 95 k1500, and completed the engine wiring harness. Never did see that 4x4 harness from the guy I bought it from so that is probably a lost cause. And also on Friday the 13th the truck finally had power in the interior to test out all the lights, roll up the window, test out the radio (all four speakers work!!), heater controls, etc. It all works. That was awesome!

So the next day I was motivated to making this thing run, I spent $100 at Napa on more stuff like fluids and fuel for it. Find this odd - they did not have a 6.5 thermostat in stock and I ordered one the day prior and it never showed up. No big deal.

Tyler, Joe, and myself cranked on the truck all day with barely any fuel to the injectors - certainly not enough for the truck to run under its own fuel. We replaced the faulty lift pump at the very beginning and fuel is all the way to the injection pump but not running to the injectors. The fuel shutoff solenoid stopped clicking at some point during the day so we assumed that to be it, and when Joe went to remove it the nut on top snapped off in 0.3 seconds, and I blame that on the nut being cast into the top and being weak. Also I had a hell of a time trying to find out what this last plug on the IP harness went to, turns out it was the crank position sensor and mice chewed through the wire. I can't even splice it back together since all three wires were black. Not helpful lol

It took us about two hours to remove that thing and we finally did. A new one was $80 and I had plans to pick one up on Sunday but that didn't happen...

So we go to the pick n pull in Reno and go figure there are no 6.5 trucks at all, but I did find a 2wd 5LM60 trans that was installed into a 95 c1500, was hoping for a true nv3500 but whatever. Figured I should keep it around if we ever end up needing it for a project (hint hint 89 RCSS if I get it) so it's what I left with and didn't buy a fuel shutoff solenoid. Joe and Tyler were both with me (and their girlfriends that we somehow convinced to go into PnP with us) so they helped me yank that trans and we had it out pretty quick!

That morning I also put a nice huge dent in the side of my green truck. Was trying to back up between a tree and Tyler's truck since I didn't feel like moving it, knew I was close but didn't realize I was that close and his back bumper dented my truck pretty good. I was pissed about it, but would much rather do it to this truck and not the dodge!!

Okay, next up is the 97 C1500. I haven't touched this truck in a while, let alone be at the junkyard in two weeks or so. First thing I did was fill it up and take it in for smog at Chico. The truck ALMOST passed, only failed one part which was the hydrocarbon idle test where the maximum ppm (parts per million) is 100 and the truck had a score of 112. That was it. So I blame that on me never replacing the factory original spark plugs and it probably needs a new air filter. So I'll replace those soon but later today I'm getting a temp sticker so I can actually start driving the truck around and finally drive the Dodge a little less. Once this truck passes smog it's off to the body shop, decided on all white rather than two tone to keep it simple. Then some nice wheels and maybe some black cosmetics and 2 inch lift coils.

Back to the 6.5 project, today in the junkyard the new hiree "Big Nate" had to pull a 4x4 5LM60 from a 89 k1500 and I needed to pull some 6.5 parts off the truck closeby. I sold the injector lines to a guy @Z71Hobbs connected me to so I needed to pull those and then I decided to pull the injection pump off all the way so I can take it with me the next time I go and mess with my 6.5 and have a good DS4 831-5521 pump that I know works in case it gets to that point along with another PMD that had the resistor in it. I was actually worried about removing just the shutoff solenoid incase I had a repeat of last time. Wasn't too bad of a IP removal just time consuming!

Also grabbed a few other little things I needed like the intake boot piece, thermostat, and some fuel line.

And if you are curious, here are two 5LM60 transmissions side by side, one is 2wd and the other is 4wd. 2wd is slightly longer! The 1995+ shifter was adapted to the 2wd transmission.

So that's all for now. Going to pick up a 1983 V12 Jaguar by Pismo Beach on Saturday with a car trailer and my dodge with Joe and his Reno roommate since he bought it. Should be a fun trip! Then maybe get the 6.5 running once and for all.

I apologize to anyone who doesn't have unlimited data and view all the photos on this thread, usually they are 4-6MB photos each!! Clarity is important :D