Grease point questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have a list or diagram of grease points? I'm sure that this is going to get some laughs, but what is the best type of grease to use? Is it the same for all of the grease points?

My 94 burb is beginning to make some noise at 135,000.

Thanks.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use whatever is in my grease gun. Look around, you will see all the grease points

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your list of grease points may vary, particularly if parts have been replaced. Some replacement joints have grease fittings, while others are sealed "for life" (the life of that part, anyway).

Your best bet is to just check everywhere, including the u-joints, ball-joints, and all over the steering linkage.

Kirth Gersen

Reaction score
NLGI-2 grade from a reputable manufacturer: Chevron, Castrol, Valvoline, etc. No reason at all to use "synthetic" grade.
There are precisely 12 zerk fittings on a 4WD vehicle, including the propeller shaft (dont know about 2WD).
The zerk on the idler arm assembly is easy to overlook and hard to access, especially with a front skid plate. The ones with a hose extensions are nice to have: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-45C1112-Professional-Idler-Link/dp/B000C9KWES

Stick with the same grease type, meaning the "soap base", typically it's "lithium complex" (usually gray-black color). It's unlikely you'll find other types in a chassis grease, but mixing, say, aluminum with lithium grease is incompatible, and can cause premature wear.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have a list or diagram of grease points? I'm sure that this is going to get some laughs, but what is the best type of grease to use? Is it the same for all of the grease points?

My 94 burb is beginning to make some noise at 135,000.

Thanks.

A factory diagram may not help you as sometimes these grease-able joints get replaced by sealed ones. I prefer grease-able ones myself. Just look around for the zerk fittings anywhere there's a moving joint.
As for grease synthetic always has haters, but, synthetic IS worth it as it doesn't harden in cold weather, and it lasts longer without gumming up.