Grandpa's 1995 C1500 Reborn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daytona

Reaction score
What an awesome job you've done!! Nice work!

I just bought my first GMC, I lived in Canada for ages, but moved to New Zealand in around 2002. Been wanting one of these beasts since I was like 12, so it's nice to have one!

This is my truck:
http://i.imgur.com/cjmqCYN.jpg

1994 GMC C1500, 5.7.

What you've done when it was like this:
http://i.imgur.com/NVO5Iu9.jpg

Is basically what my goal is.

Couple questions if I may:
- Your truck at the above photo on imgur - was that it lifted 2"?
- What do you think of the RC 2" lift?
- My factory offset on the wheels seems different to those AR Baja, do you know if that is a major? (sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to wheels, so learning about all the terminology is quite new to me).

I'm 50/50 on the lift, part of me wants to lift, but I'm worried about the stress on other components (what I've read anyways). It's purely for looks.

EDIT: Just searched your post and found:
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/grandpas-1995-c1500-reborn.12302/page-337#post-871796

Just been researching the pros/cons of lifting and jeez, might not be worth it in New Zealand (especially since I'm doing purely for cosmetic reasons!). Seems to put a lot more stress on drive parts from what I've read.

Anyways - great work on the truck though, your threads are extremely valuable!

Last edited:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
What an awesome job you've done!! Nice work!

I just bought my first GMC, I lived in Canada for ages, but moved to New Zealand in around 2002. Been wanting one of these beasts since I was like 12, so it's nice to have one!

This is my truck:
http://i.imgur.com/cjmqCYN.jpg

1994 GMC C1500, 5.7.

What you've done when it was like this:
http://i.imgur.com/NVO5Iu9.jpg

Is basically what my goal is.

Couple questions if I may:
- Your truck at the above photo on imgur - was that it lifted 2"?
- What do you think of the RC 2" lift?
- My factory offset on the wheels seems different to those AR Baja, do you know if that is a major? (sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to wheels, so learning about all the terminology is quite new to me).

I'm 50/50 on the lift, part of me wants to lift, but I'm worried about the stress on other components (what I've read anyways). It's purely for looks.

EDIT: Just searched your post and found:
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/grandpas-1995-c1500-reborn.12302/page-337#post-871796

Just been researching the pros/cons of lifting and jeez, might not be worth it in New Zealand (especially since I'm doing purely for cosmetic reasons!). Seems to put a lot more stress on drive parts from what I've read.

Anyways - great work on the truck though, your threads are extremely valuable!
Thanks for the kind words. It really means a lot. As for the picture, yes that was 2" roughcountry lift kit with 15x8 AR Bajas (-19mm offset and 3 3/4" backspacing). The offset and stuff does make a differ nice, I wanted them a little outside the fender. I can't remember for sure how far thy stuck out but I remember liking it. I loved the way the lift looked, I hated how hard it was to install and it did make the ride a lot stiffer. I didn't like the lift overall. I wanted more height anyways. That has since changed and I want to go back down to a 2" lift. If I were you, I would install a 2" body lift (or a 3" in my case), and buy the necessary brackets, and have the exhaust moved up 3" as well as a hidden hitch to tick the hitch back up to the bumper. Same ride and wear as stock, but you get the lift. 2wds show less frame than a 4wd anyways. I hope the long essay helped lol. If you have anymore questions just let me know :waytogo:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Over the past 4 or 5 years with this truck, a lot has changed. I always wanted a rugged looking, off road capable truck and I chased after that in the pickup I inherited from my grandfather. IT started out as a perfect, low mile, problem free 1995 silverado. There was not a single issue with it. The past few months, I've grown to hate the truck. It struggles to pass emissions, the suspension squeaks like crazy, the AC went out, it needs an alignment, the tires are shot, the brakes.... my God the damn brakes.., paint in ****, etc... The list goes on and on. Well, this is the turning point. I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it. I don't know if I'm going to leave it stock, go about lifting it a different way, or lower it. Honestly, they all sound appealing. I want to be able to use my truck as a truck again. I want to be able to drive a problem free truck every day, be able to hook up to a trailer and feel confident that the truck will do fine, etc.. More than anything, I just want a nice truck again.

Where it started
You must be registered for see images

So here's how the truck sits right now

I want to go back to a cleaner, stock look but at the same time, I love the way it looks now.

Stock height, 31" ATs, tint, exhaust, blah blah, blah. Of all the different versions of my truck I can picture in my head, this is the one I always go back to. (Borrowed this pic from a member here).

I've got parts in a shopping cart to stick my old 10 bolt back in there, stock wheels, stock spindles, etc... All I really need are tires and an alignment. If I choose to go back to 5 lug. If I stay 6, I'll need to add getting a 6 lug pattern drilled in my axle shafts to the list...

We'll see in the next few weeks how all of this goes...

Long overdue for an update but not the update I was expecting to make. I think I'll be happier with it this way though. Thanks for looking :waytogo:

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
*cough* low leaf solid axle *cough*

Good to see an update on here, I got tired of staring at your truck over IG; hate to hear all the trouble you've had, but if you gotta go back to stock, you gotta go back. Either way I can't wait to see the next update.

Could I make a recommendation though? 454SS wheels wrapped in BFG KO2s, that'd look sick as f_u_c_k imo;

Last edited:

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, any particular reason to go back to 5 lug? Seems like a lot of work to go back

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
*cough* low leaf solid axle *cough*

Good to see an update on here, I got tired of staring at your truck over IG; hate to hear all the trouble you've had, but if you gotta go back to stock, you gotta go back. Either way I can't wait to see the next update.

Could I make a recommendation though? 454SS wheels wrapped in BFG KO2s, that's look sick as **** imo;
Reminds me of another member here. This was his beauty until it got t-boned.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm just going to leave this right here...
The temptation to lower it is.... tempting...

Sorry to hear, any particular reason to go back to 5 lug? Seems like a lot of work to go back
I'm tired of dealing with the brakes. The bigger 14 bolt brakes like to lock up easily and makes driving in the rain... hell, even stop a go traffic, a complete nightmare. Sure, I could throw in a proportioning valve and probably get it under control but I think I'm also bored with how it looks. I'm undoing everything I should've left alone in the first place. It's all made this truck unbearable and that kills me a little every day. I guess it's just what I feel is best at this point.

Oh and if I swap the 5 lug 10 bolt back in, staying 5 lug is easier and cheaper than 6 lug

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Small update. Got the rear leafs out. They are covered in a year and a half worth of fluid film trying to get ride of the squeaking (bright idea Scott...). So I power washed/degreased them tonight. Also removed the add a leaf. The axle is a brake hose and parking brake cables away from being pulled completely. Waiting on parts from rockauto and don't want to leave the brake system open.

At the end of all of this, 4" spindles/blocks, add a leaf, 14 bolt, 6 lug front rotors, adjustable proportioning valve, and my wheels (tires are basically shot) will be up for sale. If you're local and interested, let me know. It'd be great for a 6 lug lifted 2wd, if that's what you're wanting.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Brakes and alignment and she should be dine today

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
2" drop in the rear and leave it I say!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk