Got some heartbreaking news today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why'd it need an inspection if salvaged title?
I assume as protocol to deem the damage that totaled it is repaired and it is roadworthy. Not sure of the details but I’m pretty sure it’s standard here in Alabama. I know of a lot similar situations here where a vehicle had to be inspected before it could be sold or turned back over with a salvaged title.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I assume as protocol to deem the damage that totaled it is repaired and it is roadworthy. Not sure of the details but I’m pretty sure it’s standard here in Alabama. I know of a lot similar situations here where a vehicle had to be inspected before it could be sold or turned back over with a salvaged title.

I had a totalled truck in MI and there were no questions asked, never even had to get a salvage title. I also wonder about hail and flood cars? I've had 4 hail totals here in CO and again, zero questions asked. In fact, CO has a hail clause where you're not required to file for a dalvage title, i.e. you maintain full coverage after a hail total out and they'll pay you for suspension and shot after shelling out the car's vaule for cosmetic damage.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a totalled truck in MI and there were no questions asked, never even had to get a salvage title. I also wonder about hail and flood cars? I've had 4 hail totals here in CO and again, zero questions asked. In fact, CO has a hail clause where you're not required to file for a dalvage title, i.e. you maintain full coverage after a hail total out and they'll pay you for suspension and shot after shelling out the car's vaule for cosmetic damage.

Okay I see where my terminology was off. We are currently waiting on the rebuilt title to come in next week. We were waiting on the salvaged title (and insurance) all those months so that we could apply for inspection. I checked myself and this is straight from the Alabama Department of Revenue website, the italicized portion is the answer to your original question:

"A vehicle deemed a total loss (totaled) by an insurance company results in the issuance of a salvage title for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and CANNOT be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. It can be sold as is to an automobile rebuilder to be used either for parts or to be restored (rebuilt). If restored, it must be inspected and ultimately a rebuilt title will be issued for the vehicle. A rebuilt vehicle with a rebuilt title CAN be driven on the highways."

https://revenue.alabama.gov/motor-vehicle/rebuilt-salvage-vehicle-information/

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2008 Hyundai Elantra was totaled in a hail storm here in Texas. I bought back the car as it was running okay and only damage was dents and dimples. Paid cash when I first bought it and bought it again from the totaled proceeds. Title was not listed as salvage or rebuilt. and still have full coverage.

That is coming along nicely there 1500z71!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I see where my terminology was off. We are currently waiting on the rebuilt title to come in next week. We were waiting on the salvaged title (and insurance) all those months so that we could apply for inspection. I checked myself and this is straight from the Alabama Department of Revenue website, the italicized portion is the answer to your original question:

"A vehicle deemed a total loss (totaled) by an insurance company results in the issuance of a salvage title for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and CANNOT be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. It can be sold as is to an automobile rebuilder to be used either for parts or to be restored (rebuilt). If restored, it must be inspected and ultimately a rebuilt title will be issued for the vehicle. A rebuilt vehicle with a rebuilt title CAN be driven on the highways."

https://revenue.alabama.gov/motor-vehicle/rebuilt-salvage-vehicle-information/

OK that makes sense. Weird that MI never forced me to get a salvage title and go through that crap.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Thats impressive. Truck looks great. I was a naysayer in the beginning, but I guess I'll be damned. Glad to see it all turned out ok.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. Thats impressive. Truck looks great. I was a naysayer in the beginning, but I guess I'll be damned. Glad to see it all turned out ok.
Thanks man. It’s still a miracle that it hit the way it did. There’s a very small almost negligable scuff on the front leaf spring mount and that’s the only point anything touched the frame, and that was probably just the inside of the bed bouncing off it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just went back and looked at the before pictures... Wow. This turned out awesome, congratulations! Glad everything worked out for you!

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
She’s back. Don’t know what the title situation is but Pops sent me these pictures an hour ago. She’ll be sleeping in the garage tonight for the first time in about 9 months. What a long strange trip it’s been.

You must be registered for see images attach