Got some heartbreaking news today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea insurance companies will first give a lowball offer but if you keep receipts of any work or upgrades done to the truck they usually come back with a better offer. I haven't had a wreck yet just know alot of people who have and that's what they told me. So I keep all receipts now instead of trashing em. Also about the vin-cab swap I was told by local registration office that as long as you have paperwork for both there should be no prob.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I'm finding all my receipts for little odds and ends, mechanic is creating a write up, and dad is getting one written up for the paint.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my grandmas Lexus was totalled a few years back, she was able to raise her payout significantly just by refusing their first offer. They came back with a much higher one. Wasn't much dickering or receipt examining to it. But then again, she's a loooong time customer with full coverage and she had never had an at-fault accident.
Receipts will help a lot though, especially when tens of dollars are at stake.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

We finally settled on the truck last week for $4700, minus $500 for deductible and buy-back for $300. That leaves us with around four grand to fix it up, which under the conditions we and our guy agreed on, should be well within the budget. So as the buy back is being processed we are going to start the body work. We already have a bed, the quarter panel can be ordered, so all we need is a good door which should be easy to find. At the end of the day I should get it back around Halloween or Thanksgiving good as new with a salvaged title, which I can live with since I sure as hell ain't selling it now. I'll try to upload pictures of everything as it goes a long, and this forum will help serve as documentation. Thanks everyone for your support, sympathy and advice. This place helps keep'em on the road.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Unfortunately in Alabama it's 65% of the total value I do believe but we will just have to see I guess. Even if it is totalled, our mechanic (and longtime friend) said he will still fix it being him behind the wheel. No plans to sell fortunately. I'm trying to take this on the chin. When I pulled up to it at the shop I got out and just looked at it for 30 minutes and finally took a deep breath and told myself this is nothing. She'll be back.
Yessir you're right that's the current thinking. If it's totaled we won't have a choice. My wording may have been a bit confusing, but when I said he'll take care of it I mean wether its totaled or not he will be replacing the bed and cab if need be for free and then covering/agreeing upon a trusted well known body shop to paint it. Truck has full coverage and mechanic also has insurance.

Is the mechanic paying for at least some of the damage since he was driving?
Quoted a couple posts from 1500z71 to help answer the question. Not sure if the mechanic is paying for the damages, but they stated that the mechanic will fix the damage.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'm in the same boat as jorge on this one. If the 4k pays to repair the truck and in the end you wind up with the same truck only with a salvaged title I would be pissed. This may not be the case, but was kind of the way i read it. Ultimately though, if you like it, I love it.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks @Curt for that, I know this thread is getting long and wordy, that should help people out. The mechanic is going to do all the body work free and more than likely we will only have to pay for the paint itself. Should have a decent sum of money left over for some upgrades or maybe some new wheels/tires.

@BerHntr I definitely see your point, trust me I've had plenty of time to look at this thing from all angles. Hey, at this point, what are ya gonna do? Could be ten times worse than it is. I'm not gonna ruin this man's livelihood over a 25 year old truck. But if there is a silver lining, I'll have fresh paint and some spending money for it. The title is only that, a title. Plenty of other 400s that haven't made it this far. I was mad as hell the first few weeks but I've come to terms now.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better I'll second your comment that a salvage title is still just a title. It really means nothing on a 25 year old truck. As long as it's fixed correctly it doesn't matter that the title says salvage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk