Good Source for NV3500s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Szil66

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to be needing a new/rebuilt transmission and was wondering if anyone had any input as to where to get a new unit.

I just had the transmission out this past weekend to replace the input bearing as I thought that was the cause of my problems, however upon removal I found the input shaft had about a half inch of endplay and has a grinding noise when turning by hand.

However, this all leads to my problem. My transmission is still working for now it just makes a terrible noise. Everyone local does not rebuild them and not many people offer them remanufactured.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any dealers that offer a good price/warranty on a rebuilt unit as I prefer not buy a used one and test my luck.

My pickup will be getting a slightly built 5.3 in a few months and I know my current trans will not hold up to it. And I know everyone will say to swap to a nv4500 but I like the drivability of the 3500 and don't use it for anything but my daily driver.

Thanks

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a place in talahassee, fl called Mantrans. Avoid them like the plague! I have one of their rebuilt nv3500's in my 98 and it has less than 10k miles on it and it rattles like it's coming apart.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a place in talahassee, fl called Mantrans. Avoid them like the plague! I have one of their rebuilt nv3500's in my 98 and it has less than 10k miles on it and it rattles like it's coming apart.

No warranty on it?

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think they might have offered a 90 day warranty. This is a third truck though so it gets driven very little, the trans has been in there probably 5 years so low mileage but I've had it a while. I'm not worried, I've got an lq4 6.0 on an engine stand and an nv4500 in the corner of the garage waiting to go in.

jcronk69

Reaction score
Can't recommend a rebuilder, but when you get you're new NV3500 I would use Amsoil Synchromesh fluid.
I have tried GM and Pennzoil synchromesh, but the Amsoil is the smoothest shifting fluid I have tried. Mine is getting worn out and the Amsoil fluid made a noticeably smoother shift with less effort.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 3500 is definitely a better feeling transmission over a 4500...definitely not as rugged as a 4500. NV3500s are all over eBay. Also, as stated, Midwestern knows these things. Be sure that your core matches what you buy as' remanufacturers will screw all over you if the core isn't correct and rebuildable. . 94 and up V8 nv3500 is the best of the series. 94 and 95 have external slave. Later is ramshead. Once the trans is out they can be interchanged if necessary. Most NV3500S rattle in neutral when idling. Remans often won't warranty the rattle. Mine rattles a bit at idle. I use GM fluid. The fluid must be correct for the model trans. Some 3500s have fiber slippers and require different lube. Most remains ship fluid with the trans.
3500s are a PITA to rebuild without fixtures.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should have said that the ramshead and external slave transmissions are interchangeable as assemblies. The throw out bearing style cannot be interchanged between transmissions.