Good mild cam for 98 Chevy K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dakota Aiken

Reaction score
Whats the best mild cam for a stock 98 Vortec 350? Don't really want a lope idle, but want a cam that adds more horsepower and torque than stock. Don't know much about cams so any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
From all the research I've done, opinions I've been given, and ideas I've had shared with me; the best cam for a stock Vortec 350 is the 395 Marine cam, the same camshaft used in HT383 and Ramjet 350 crate engines.
@slowburb has a 96 Suburban running this cam, and I believe @Supercharged111 has a 98 (I think) K1500 he pulled a race-car trailer with; I'm sure that they can step in and provide more information, it's been a while since I've looked at any 350 stuff for a while so I'm a bit rusty,

Bbecker

Reaction score
i would call comp cams or lunati, or whatever cam company you want and ask them to see what they recommend.
if i was changing valve springs/ doing retainer work then i would run a lunati 20080720, may have a slight lope at idle though,

Reaction score
I was going to say that GM p/n 12551142 would be a good choice as well, but it seems these are not readily available anymore. This was the stock LT4 camshaft. I have had one in a 383 with vortec heads and it was a torquey cam that ran out nice to about 5500 rpm with stock sounding idle.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I think you're right bro. I will add this. If I can ever get my suburban out of daily driver duty I'll be pulling the '395 cam out in favor of something along the lines of a ZZ4 cam.