Going LED interior, thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am wanting to go with 4 blue LED (194) bulbs and the rest a bright white.

I know I need 4 blue #194 bulbs to put in each door, and under the dash.

I want to put white in the dome light and also if possible into my overhead console domes. Are these all #194 bulbs as well? I believe I will need 4 also for the top?

I am also going to do white in my license plate bulbs, but I think those are #194 as well.

Anyone know for certain?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
License plates are 194s. Dome lights you're going to need to be more specific on, there's like three different kinds of dome fixtures in these trucks. Assuming it's a 1994 like your username suggests, the square dome housing is a 211-2 in the middle and the map lights on the sides are 561.

The swivel lights in the OHC are 194s, but be aware that only a SINGLE LED module will fit without hacking the housings up. The cube shaped LEDs with one on each side are too big. These work, just barely.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...b-1-smd-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/204/

Just an added note... I converted the interior of my red truck to LED years ago. Ended up hating it, ripped them all out about a year later and replaced everything with standard incandescent bulbs again. LED light is just harsh and unpleasant on the eyes compared to incandescent IMO.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thnx. Actually the dome light will be on a 1998!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thnx. Actually the dome light will be on a 1998!

No problem!

The rectangular dome light housings are 211-2 in the middle and 561s on the sides if applicable. The rounded oval housings with the swivel lights on the sides are 211-2 in the middle and 194s on the sides.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I have these in my dome lights... They are ridiculously bright. lol

You must be registered for see images attach

As far as all the 194 bulbs go - I've found that it is not worth messing with the cheap-o eBay crap. After a while they begin to flicker and go out. Superbriteleds or Autolumination is where I get everything now. It costs a little more but you get what you pay for.

Are you talking about the map lights in your overhead console you can move around? Those should be 194 as well (well at least in my 99 Yukon it was).
This is just a picture from eBay, but this is the style I went with for my map lights and license plate lights as well.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes the map lights in the overhead console, the 2 swivel on the front. Do you have a link to those LEDs? Did they fit well?

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an added note... I converted the interior of my red truck to LED years ago. Ended up hating it, ripped them all out about a year later and replaced everything with standard incandescent bulbs again. LED light is just harsh and unpleasant on the eyes compared to incandescent IMO.

I did the LEDs in my Yukon, df2x4 is correct about the harshness, just get the warm white LEDs for the white ones. Watch the lumens count and try to match accordingly. LEDs are definitely easier on the plastic light housings because of less heat.

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
I'm definitely gonna agree to spend the money and get good bulbs! It will save you a headache! I like the harsh bright white and that's what all mine is. I hate blue with a passion though as It is obnoxious. My ford I have all green and I really like that and its easy to drive with. And my old k1500 I had red which was ok but I like the white way better.