Gmt800 tailgate cap on Gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Anybody put a 800 style tailgate cap on a 400? I read about this somewhere but can't come up with any pics. Seems like a good idea IMO! Pics please if there are any out there! Thanks!

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
i have a cap in the shop and dry fit it. i also have an inside cover on the tailgate. with the cover it looks pretty close to fitting but it has a concave shape and do not see it fitting without the cover. guess the only way to mount is 3M but not sure.
i will post pics if interested.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
i have a cap in the shop and dry fit it. i also have an inside cover on the tailgate. with the cover it looks pretty close to fitting but it has a concave shape and do not see it fitting without the cover. guess the only way to mount is 3M but not sure.
i will post pics if interested.
Pics would be awesome!

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its been done. I wouldn’t screw it down until you are sure. I don’t have any pics, but they don’t look too bad. The main issue I’ve seen with them is that sometimes they are warped. Not sure if the plastic is too thin for some of hotter regions to prevent warping, or if it was improper installation.

Personally. I’d go with an aftermarket one to match the bedside caps.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can probably be made to fit. I might like it. Gonna take the one off my 800 this weekend and see how it works. Never know, might be the next super-mod! Lol!
Good luck. I tried, didn't look like it belonged. I held out for a GMT400 shell. Glad I did.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
i'll take care of that if i remember when i get home today.

edit: it rained all day but waited till i got home to storm. will try again.......

Last edited:

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to see these so called installed pics from various angles.

A couple of years ago when I was @ the j/y, I sat one of these caps on a gmt400 tailgate. the gmt400 tailgate was thinner & contoured slightly different @ the top. Having the outside end sitting flush together left a decent gap on the back side. even after sliding a section of tailgate bed liner in & guestimating some double sided tape thickness, left me w/ a feeling of it getting ripped off during use due to its height, so I nixed the idea.

Maybe someone thought of something that I didn't