GMT400 History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
May be, but I wouldn't see why someone would swap for the older caps

Some people actually prefer them. Maybe sometime in the truck's life someone had some aftermarket wheels on it and had sold the stockers. When it came time to find some stockers and swap back, the earlier caps were all they could get at the time. The reasons that it could have the earlier caps are innumerable, but the fact remains that if that truck rolled off the assembly line with the alloy wheels, then it had smooth caps.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not like the truck in question is a rare model, things happen over hhr years and parts get changed. The truck could've had steel rims originally and someone changed them out for an older set of alumunum rims. Rims get changed pretty simply so the fact your center caps are from an older model isn't hard to believe.

I know the Silversdo Sport and Silverado SS454 has been mentioned, but there's a few others. In 1993 there was a Indy 500 Silverado, it even came in long beds. From what I read they are basically Sports. GMC also had the Sierra ST and the Sierra GT. Both could be had as 4x4s as well. The yukon was offered as a GT as well.

kawisnyamis

Reaction score
Exterior Badges:
88-91: EFI sticker on lower right corner of tailgate.

GMC:
88-91: Large GMC letters on the center of the tailgate, tailgate width chrome bar was also used to mount the GMC letters to the back of the tailgate.
92-97: GMCTruck in the lower right corner of the tailgate with chrome letters and charcoal surround. Sierra was badged on the lower left corner of the tailgate, also with chrome letters and a charcoal surround.
98-00: GMC in lower right corner of tailgate with chrome letters and charcoal surround. Sierra badged on lower left corner of tailgate, again, with chrome letters and charcoal surround.
88-96: C-Pillar badge is square.
97-00: C-Pillar badge is square with rounded edges.

Chevy:
88-97: Chevrolet on tailgate width chrome bar.
98-00: Chevrolet Silverado badge on lower right corner of the tailgate.
88-97: C-Pillar badge is square.
98-00: C-Pillar badge is square with rounded edges.

Engines:
Six engines were used between 1988-1998.
The 4.3, the 5.0, the 5.7, the 7.4, the 6.2, and the 6.5.
(6.2 and 6.5 were diesels with the latter having a turbo option)

I will illustrate the history of the 5.7L here as it is the most common among GMT400 enthusiasts and owners.

The LO5 was introduced in 1987 for use in GMT400 and still continued older body style K5 Blazers and Suburbans. The Bore and Stroke of the LO5 was 4.000 in x 3.48 in.

Its factory applications included:
1992/1993 Buick Roadmaster
1990-1992 Cadillac Brougham (opt)
1993 Cadillac Fleetwoodfever
1992/1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon (opt)
1993 Chevy Caprice LTZ
1992 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon

The LO5 was replaced by the GM LT1 after 1993 in B-Body cars until LO5 production ceased in 1996.

The Vortec 5700 L31 is the last production Gen I small-block from Chevrolet (GM). The cylinder heads feature combustion chambers similiar to those of the LT1, but with reverse flow cooling. The L31 heads are compatible with older small-blocks. Vortec heads however use four bolts attaching the intake manifold as opposed to the older and traditional six bolts per head. 2005 model year was the final year for the L31, used in the Kodiak and TopKick, whose small block origins date back to 1955. The Bore and Stroke of the L31 was 4.000 in x 3.48 in.

The L31 produces 255 horsepower and 330 ft lbs of torque.

Its factory applications include:
1996-2003 Chevy Express / GMC Savana
1996-1999 GMT400s (C/K, Suburban, Tahoe-Yukon)

The L31 used TBI in its G-Series vans in 1996.
(also used in Isuzu Box Trucks)

F44 package. Factory 14b 9.5 rear with 1500 Badging but Higher GVW and Bigger rear brakes. And + 1 more leaf spring in the pack. Pretty sure this was available from 88-98 in GMt400 trucks but 88-94 they were badged as 2500's but Still 6 lug just with the F44 package.

95+ F44 trucks were badged as 1500 but were identically equipped to 88-94 trucks.

Hey guys! I have a 1988 GMC Sierra SLE K1500, with a 5.7l mated to a 700r4. F44 rpo with 8600 gvw. Ive been rebuilding her piece by piece. She's stock with one previous owner who put 2 goodwrench engines and jasper transmission in it. I bought her with a blown motor almost 3 years ago. Engine installed (89 chevy 5.7 k), year later redid her head gasket and top end, then complete tranny/tcc/transfercase rebuild with cooler. 333xxx on the body. Really, the only things I have left (except paint, rust free) is clean up wiring in dash, u joints, mess with the aftermarket posi lock actuator, 96 grille swap, doorpins (again) and differentials. Super proud I accidentally found a diamond in the rough.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a 1988 GMC Sierra SLE K1500, with a 5.7l mated to a 700r4. F44 rpo with 8600 gvw. Ive been rebuilding her piece by piece. She's stock with one previous owner who put 2 goodwrench engines and jasper transmission in it. I bought her with a blown motor almost 3 years ago. Engine installed (89 chevy 5.7 k), year later redid her head gasket and top end, then complete tranny/tcc/transfercase rebuild with cooler. 333xxx on the body. Really, the only things I have left (except paint, rust free) is clean up wiring in dash, u joints, mess with the aftermarket posi lock actuator, 96 grille swap, doorpins (again) and differentials. Super proud I accidentally found a diamond in the rough.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's a great looking truck! But then again, I'm a little bias with white GMCs, LOL!