GMT400 Frame strength for 900hp street truck ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richincanada

Reaction score
Hey folks
I am looking at doing an LQ4 (6.0L) - 4L80 - 4wd -76mm TURBO setup in a 95-99 2 door Tahoe. Should make 900ish HP, and be capable of 9 sec passes. I've been told that the GMT400 frame is inferior to the gmt800 and that it needs to be 'boxed' for high hp builds. Any input, advice, experiences or suggestions would be very much appreciated !
Thank You :)

richincanada

Reaction score
They weren't made strong enough for a 200 HP street truck

Serious ? i've seen a few in the 10s at 125+ MPH

some of those 454 SS trucks are spraying nitrous or procharged, like 700 lb-ft of torque...

Last edited:

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was meant as a joke, and am not joking in reference to HP strength as much as towing and hauling strength. Should have included an lol after my post. Lots of 1500's out there with twisted and sagging frames that were never used particularly hard.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Hey folks
I am looking at doing an LQ4 (6.0L) - 4L80 - 4wd -76mm TURBO setup in a 95-99 2 door Tahoe. Should make 900ish HP, and be capable of 9 sec passes. I've been told that the GMT400 frame is inferior to the gmt800 and that it needs to be 'boxed' for high hp builds. Any input, advice, experiences or suggestions would be very much appreciated !
Thank You :)

Any time any one is making any larger sustainable horse power . No matter the make and model its time to add a roll cage and reinforce what your driving.
The roll cage acts as more than just insurance from your own stupidity . It also reinforces the vehicle.
If your truly serious about 900whp buy a tig welder and tube bender . Youll need it. Then every frame will be able to with stand any amount of horse power.

richincanada

Reaction score
Any time any one is making any larger sustainable horse power . No matter the make and model its time to add a roll cage and reinforce what your driving.
The roll cage acts as more than just insurance from your own stupidity . It also reinforces the vehicle.
If your truly serious about 900whp buy a tig welder and tube bender . Youll need it. Then every frame will be able to with stand any amount of horse power.

I am aware of this, I was more thinking of it's rigidity vs. say a GMT-800...I know a rollcage would be ideal, but this'll be a 4wd driver, no cages.

D_EATON

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if it's a 4wd and a driver what's up with the 900hp lol jk who doesn't want 900hp.

If you have the means to complete a 900hp set up then I would think you could box the frame in where it isn't and add in other bracing to help strengthen it some, or pay to have it done.

Also I have personally seen a turbo sbc gmt400 run 9 and has been 8.50 at street car takeover Orlando. Also white rhino from street outlaws and then of course lethal weapon and bipolar. All very fast gmt400's.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good luck with the build, hopefully there will be a build thread

richincanada

Reaction score
So if it's a 4wd and a driver what's up with the 900hp lol jk who doesn't want 900hp.

If you have the means to complete a 900hp set up then I would think you could box the frame in where it isn't and add in other bracing to help strengthen it some, or pay to have it done.

Also I have personally seen a turbo sbc gmt400 run 9 and has been 8.50 at street car takeover Orlando. Also white rhino from street outlaws and then of course lethal weapon and bipolar. All very fast gmt400's.

Good luck with the build, hopefully there will be a build thread

thanks man....check this out...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1592240-900-hp-lq4.html