GMT 400 Hydroboost swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have to remove the ABS to do this upgrade and if not is there a special bleeding process for the ABS before you move to the wheels for bleeding

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Would a diesel 1500 power steering unit work in this swap..? Or a 3500 power steering unit wit hyrdo work..? I have heard it might not bolt on but I'm not sure here...

I'm wondering the same thing. I need to put a new power steering pump in my '97, and wondered if I can use a power steering pump that's already set up for hydroboost (ie 3500), or you HAVE to tee off of a stock 1500 unit?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have to remove the ABS to do this upgrade and if not is there a special bleeding process for the ABS before you move to the wheels for bleeding

No you do not have to remove the abs, and no there is no special bleeding process if it is left in place. I have converted several truck's with abs still in place.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing. I need to put a new power steering pump in my '97, and wondered if I can use a power steering pump that's already set up for hydroboost (ie 3500), or you HAVE to tee off of a stock 1500 unit?

If you prefer yes you can install a 3500 power steering pump and pump tank with the extra return line. I did that on my 95 model since I needed a new pump anyway.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I vote to sticky this thread before it get buried.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Ok. I got my hydroboost setup a couple days ago and am in the process of getting a new PS pump because I need one anyway. I went on O'Reilly's website and I see multiple pumps for 3500 trucks. From what Draggin mentioned above the 3500 pumps will work. I get that.

My question is: Does it matter if it's for front disc/rear drums OR front disc/rear disc?

The reason I ask is that I'm eventually going to put disc brakes on my 14 bolt SF axle that's in the garage. So does it matter???

Link to pumps:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...97&make=GMC&model=K3500+Pickup+4WD&vi=1161683