Getting the Wrong Main Bearing Caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thewedge

Reaction score
Ok. I'll try to make this as short as I can. I bought what I thought was a used 350 cu in. short block from a guy on Craigslist. standard bore. When I picked it up the short block was clean, no pistons, no cam, bearings, etc. The mains were in a separate box. So after I dropped it off to the machine shop to go through it. He said that the block was a 400 small block and the mains that were in the separate box were out of a 350 cu in. and that it would be very expensive to make them work with the 400 block. Something about that mains are made to the block and it would take a lot of expense to make them work with the 400. So I just want to verify that this is true. I tried talking to the guy that sold me the block. but he doesn't want to be anything but an A-Hole. Anyway, I just need more input on this block before a call it a boat anchor. Thanks.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
If you to fix it you would need a new set of caps. ( https://www.summitracing.com/search...-6l-400/engine-family/chevy-small-block-gen-i ) and then have the machine shop line bore them. call around and get a price on having it line bored. When i had mine done over about 5-6 years back i spent about 2100 on all the machine work. (magna flux, .030 over, new pistons, rings, main bearing, main caps line bored, arp bolt rod spline, touch up cam bearing surface, new cam bearings installed, decked, crank cleaned and full assembly balance. might be missing something)

thewedge

Reaction score
Thanks . I really appreciate the info. Sorry about the late reply. I've been under the weather for last few days and couldn't get back to the forum page. I'll definitely check out the caps at Summit. Again, thanks for all your help.