General Transmission Upgrades and Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
So How about we tell our trans and upgrades done to it, and your thoughts/likes/dislikes.

I hope this will give some insight into what works, what doesn't, and what people prefer to keep people from wasting money on some junk parts...

Ex.

4L60E, Stock torque converter, currently no mods just changed the filter and oil.

Im looking at adding a B&M Electronic Shift Improver if I can get my local parts store talked down to the summit price.

Summit B&M Elec.....

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Hmm. Well let's start with transmission #1:

700R4 from my 89
S10 torque converter
Corvette servo
Stock replacement 3/4 clutchpack as well as low/reverse clutches
4L70E 5-pinion planetary set
TCI Streetfighter shift kit set on kill
All shift accumulator pistons removed
Pretty good transmission. I've put a little over 20K miles on it since last May without issue. Shifts nice and firm.

Transmission #2: (spare)

Early 90's non-PWM 4L60E
TCI 3000rpm stall torque converter (BAD BAD BAD idea, I'll explain later)
Hardened input shaft circa 4L70E
Corvette servo
Beast sunshell/5-pinion planetary gearset
Raybestos clutches throughout
About that torque converter......It's a replacement since the previous one I got from TCI had a bearing failure that wrecked the entire transmission after only two months and about 9K miles. IMO, their stuff is junk. Don't cheap out on a torque converter. You get what you pay for.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll play:
trans #1-
original 1996 4L60e,
Transgo HD2 shift kit
Corvette servo
billit 4th servo
stock converter

mods did -okay- at best. I installed them and everything went good. the HD2 kit I got was missing a valve for it and I didn't notice until 1/2 way though the isntallation. I decided to just keep the stock one in there and continue installing the kit. instructions mentioned that the valve wasn't needed on all vehicles and some later transmissions may have already had the correct valve in it. finished the install and it drove great. everything was fine for about 4 months and the trans lost overdrive. took it in and it turns out that that valve they think was the cause of the failure, not sure what exactally it did to make it fail, but whatever. had it rebuilt, and it did fine, shifts were better than stock, but 'eh nothing to write home about.

Trans #2
1994 LT1 T56 6 speed manual
so after I did all that to the 60e, I found out, guess what, its still a 4Lcrappy-e, and decided to do what I really wanted and swap it out for a manual. I found a used T56, that was fairly beat up and in need of some TLC, I rebuilt it and replaced the needed parts (several gears, all new seals/bearings/etc), all new synchros, upgraded to carbon blocker rings, steel 3/4 fork, all bronze pads, billit keys, modified the shift rail to move the shifter up to the mid inspection plate, modified a cobra pro 5.0 shifter to use the inspection area, installed it in the truck with a SPEC stage 3 clutch, using a stock truck master cylinder mated to an aluminum camaro slave.

swapping to a manual was the best trans mod I have done. I always hated the 60e. the 1-2 gearing gap sucked, even with extensive tuning I never got the low speed shifting how I wanted it, and the if you count the rebuild after the shift kit was installed, it needed 2 full blown rebuilds by 125k miles (this is a daily driver, saw minimal towing, minimal abuse, well maintained, and had a trans cooler too), sucked power away, PITA to work on, etc, etc. the T56 has been in for almost a year (though almost 1/2 of that time it wasn't driven while I did alot of separate mods), but it has worked out great, I have tried several clutch discs including a SPEC stage 2, and a Mcleod, both worked okay, the stage 2 got oil contaminated by a rear main leak, and the Mcleod worked okay, but was overly chattery and I decided to replace it when the blower went on to get a better friction material in there. the current stage 3 clutch is phenomenal, great driving charactoristics, holds nicely, easy to drive. next clutch replacement I'll put in a 3+ (which is the same clutch disk material, but full faced instead of a puck style disc like the 3). T56 swap was fairly simple. only issue now is with the double overdrive and DEEP .50 6th gear overdrive, my 3.73's dont pull well enough in 6th, so I'm re-gearing to 4.88's very soon. should be fun

Ol'Rover

Dirt Road Scholar
Reaction score
Got a quick question, are we able to install a B&M Stage 2 High performance street shiftkit in a stock 4L60E tranny? and will it still shift properly with the computer??? I am also looking at the Electronic shift improver kit from B&M.

My Transmissions:

1998 4L60E Stock, with recent fluid & filter change

1990 Stock 700R4 soon to recieve a B&M Stage 2 HP street shiftkit
1988 Stock 700R4

And i had an 89 700R4 that i installed the B&M stage 2 kit in.... ive never felt a firmer shift.
I had it in an 89 scottsdale RCSB 2wd, with a built 305, Bored .030 & cammed with ported & polished heads. Running TBI & 80lb injectors... spun through first, slammed & spun halfway through 2nd and chirped 3rd when the pedal was matted... that was a fun truck...... I recomend the kit and they are only about 75 bucks to the door :p

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How hard is a Shift Kit to install??
It really depends on your skill set and tools available.
The Transgo HD2 is fairly simple deal. Just never go crazy on drilling the separator plate. Larger hole drilled means more harsh shift.

I've broke a whole dumpster load of 4L60Es that were stock and built.

My favorite is the 4L80E with a Transgo HD2 shift kit. Put 250k+ miles on it with alot of fun. Towing, racing, and daily driving.
Funny part is i went from a 4L60E with a Yank TT3000 stall to the 4L80E with stock torque converter. The 4L80E I went .2 faster and picked up 3mph with the same engine tune and same amount of boost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It really depends on your skill set and tools available.
The Transgo HD2 is fairly simple deal. Just never go crazy on drilling the separator plate. Larger hole drilled means more harsh shift.

I've broke a whole dumpster load of 4L60Es that were stock and built.

My favorite is the 4L80E with a Transgo HD2 shift kit. Put 250k+ miles on it with alot of fun. Towing, racing, and daily driving.
Funny part is i went from a 4L60E with a Yank TT3000 stall to the 4L80E with stock torque converter. The 4L80E I went .2 faster and picked up 3mph with the same engine tune and same amount of boost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Can I do it with trans still in the truck?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea but get some more bolts that are the same threads as the valve body bolts. Cut the heads off of 2 of them, thread them in by hand and use them as alignment studs or you will hate life.

Or wait till trans dies and then get a builder to put a shift kit in while its on the bench :D