Gauges not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatCoonass

Reaction score
I drive a 97 C1500 4.3L automatic.

When i turn my key. My shift indicator light comes on as normal. When i turn it again to prime the fuel pump. Stays on and all my gauges work. When i go to start it. My shift indicator light disappears. My tach doesn't work. Nor does my speedo. And when im in drive it stays in third gear. I can shift it normally through the column and whatever gear im in is what it stays in. But when i go back to drive it stays in third.
Sometimes it does it. Sometimes it doesn't. I was wondering if anyone's ever had this problem and can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried swapping the cluster? It looks like the speedometer, PRNDL and tach are both fed from fuse #20 with a pink wire to cluster cavity #7.

Is the fuse blown?

It may be shorting out or the circuit in the cluster could be damaged, necessitating a new cluster. If the wire to the cluster is good, it looks like you should see voltage at cavity #7.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cluster connector view:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatCoonass

Reaction score
The fuse for the PRNDL is not blown, i've tried changing it anyways. and the fuse for the gauges. That was the first thing. I then changed the neutral safety switch. The thing that gets me is, every now and then it will work, and when it does the speedo will be about 15mph higher than my actual speed (i've been using my gps as a speedo because this is my only vehicle and i need it for work).

chris2323

Reaction score
The fuse for the PRNDL is not blown, i've tried changing it anyways. and the fuse for the gauges. That was the first thing. I then changed the neutral safety switch. The thing that gets me is, every now and then it will work, and when it does the speedo will be about 15mph higher than my actual speed (i've been using my gps as a speedo because this is my only vehicle and i need it for work).
Were you ever able to find out what was causing this? My speedo and tach are reading high also.