Gauge climbs after ten minute radiators cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 Tahoe. My gauge climbs to 240 after ten minutes. However both my hoses are cold? Thermostat? Fan engages and clutch seems ok checked while off and there is resistance... I can only thing it’s a clog in thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or the water pump isn't pumping. Pull the thermostat and fire up the engine. Water should be blasting out of the intake.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would pull the thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water, ( on the stove) and see if it opens. If not after about 15 or 20 seconds, then change it. If it opens, then look else where, like skylark said.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heater hoses get hot. Changed thermostat Top hose gets hot bottom is cold gauge reads around 160. Heater blown hot

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would use a scanner to read the actual coolant temperature, it’s read by the ECT sensor near the thermostat. The computer uses this value. The cluster gauge uses the sender on the side of the block, and I’d be hesitant to rely on it for much of anything. On my two 98 models, it normally reads at the major tick mark halfway between 100 and 210 while the ECT reports 190.

If you don’t have a scanner, you can use a Bluetooth OBD adapter and download the DashCommand or CarGaugePro apps, among others. Those two have the advantage of being able to read the CMP retard on the distributor.

The sensor should be reading near the thermostat setpoint, 190-ish. Seems to me that the lower hose should be colder than the upper since that this the radiator outlet. Maybe others can confirm just how much of a temperature difference it should be.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. That’s how it works and it’s working that way now

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After 10 min and steady

You must be registered for see images