Gas Gauge Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys, sick of my stupid questions yet? :) I have a 94 K1500 Burban and the gas gauge won't go lower than 3/4 but will go above that if i add gas, I don't think it is actually stuck at the 3/4 mark or above because i definitely didn't add enough to fill it up. The gauge doesn't zero out when power is killed to the truck (honestly not sure if it is supposed to). I'm kinda doubting that it's the float at this point. Anyone have a similar issue?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I had an issue with my '89. Probably different but maybe not in terms of how it's supposed to work buuut.. The gauge would only read at full if the tank was filled from empty and not for very long, would often be erratic but mostly it acted like it had a hollow float that slowly filled with fuel.. When I did the moonies to needles swap that went away, looks like the gauge itself was bad.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had an issue with my '89. Probably different but maybe not in terms of how it's supposed to work buuut.. The gauge would only read at full if the tank was filled from empty and not for very long, would often be erratic but mostly it acted like it had a hollow float that slowly filled with fuel.. When I did the moonies to needles swap that went away, looks like the gauge itself was bad.

Any idea if the gauge can be replaced on its own, or am I looking at rebuilding/replacing the cluster? Assuming that's my problem, that is.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Since yours is a '94, I'm not sure. The cluster I swapped in is considered to be a unicorn and the '88-90.5 clusters are unique. Of those though, the face and related gages & stepper motors can be swapped so it's quite possible yours can be.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since yours is a '94, I'm not sure. The cluster I swapped in is considered to be a unicorn and the '88-90.5 clusters are unique. Of those though, the face and related gages & stepper motors can be swapped so it's quite possible yours can be.

Thanks!

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turns out it was the float. I'm glad I dropped the tank too because the fuel pump lines coming out of the tank were rusted so badly that one snapped when I went to disconnect the fuel line from it.