Gap Guards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
so this is an on going project that i have been pondering for a while. my goal was to build gap guards for absolutly free, well goal accomplished thus far. i lucked out and my brother just happens to be in his second year of a metal fabrication/welding course, and is home and unemployed for the summer. so in trade for some body work i am doing for him on is car, he said to leave it with him while i was at work and he would get the fabricated and start to weld them for me. he even brought home the piece of sheet metal for me from school. sorry for the iphone pics

this is how far he got during my 8 hours at work (i had a feeling this would happen)

You must be registered for see images attach

these are the pieces of steel tubing i cut to make "body mounts" these sit about 1/8" of an inch of the bottom of the box, for those of you who wish to do this, they are not exactly 3" there is a small piece of steel from the factory sitting in the bottom of the box rail. i built these becuase the bottom of my box isn't in the best shape, and i'm known to load down my truck so i figure a little extra support can't hurt.

now apparently i didn't explain this to well to my brother, this is the passenger side. first big whole in the middle he decided to cut out becuase he didn't realize my new "body mounts" fit furthur back on the rail, so he thought they had to be notched out, the second one he made for the old exhaust hanger which is useless because i run duals dumped after the axle. so needless to say i think i should have explained it to him better becuase i was kind of upset by this.

so i tell him he's an idiot and that wasn't going to work for me. so i had him weld the plates he cut out back in. which turned out to look fine after they where ground down and painted.

so this is where the projects sits. they are all welded on and put in place but i ran out of time to paint everything and do some other finish work. i will post pictures of the installed pictures tomorrow, and hopefully the complete pictures by the weekend. if anyone has questions feel free to ask. and i promise i will finish this write up.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
yah i fully intended to finish this project like 2 weeks ago, but i ended up working 6 day's a week since then, and i HAD to put a stereo in the truck so it's still sitting as is. but i will defenitly get on it soon and finish it up, and then do another photo shoot in another cool location i found.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any progress with the painting and pics? I can imagine the look, but I just think it is interesting the route you went. Most people use rubber of some sort.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
havn't painted the frame yet but i can go snap some pics of what it looks like. the wife is gone with it at the moment so ill try to get some pics snapped later tonight or tomorrow.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good, you have a little painting to do back there lol.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
lol you have no idea mike. it's come to the point where i'm not even gonna bother wire brushing it all down. i'm gonna knock of the big **** and go to town with rattle cans. then it will be oiled, although i'm pretty sure thats a lost cause.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
yah, they are done still havn't painted the frame but i can smap some pics. it was quite possibly the best mod i've done. unfortunatly i have lost all intrest in moding this truck, future plans involve keeping it going until the wheels fall off. unfortunatly it is too far gone for my budget, it has become a work horse. it gets me from point A to B and hauls all my ****.