Fuel pump access panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Hey all. This is on a 92 ECSB Z71. Be sure to have a fire ext. and some wet towels close by. Check for leaks before u start.

measure 4" from front of bed, any less will cut into cross support.
You must be registered for see images attach

Follow line from fuel door 12" into the bed. Square off a rectangle from these two points at about 8"x14.5"

Drill 3/8" holes at each corner. light pressure so as not to punch thru too hard. Cut with angle grinder or VERY short jig saw. You only have about an inch and a half to the top of the tank. SLOW and steady wins the day.
This size allows for full access to hoses and wires. Smooth out edges of cut with grinder or sander they're razor sharp. Be sure to sand down ground point at frame for good contact.

Cut 1/16" plate steel 2" oversize in this case it was 10"x17". drill screw holes, sand edges, paint, and screw.

Whole operation took about an hour. Time for fuel sender swap took 10 min including smoke break. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Last edited:

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Good write up! Thanks!

Sent from my padded cell using Tapatalk 2

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made a access panel in my Tahoe too. my pump went out at work with a full tank. I borrowed a fire extinguisher from a bus, and had a few wet towels too. I didnt have any fuel leak, but now I have nice easy access if this ever goes bad again.

Worked like a charm!

Shawn

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bed is not so easy to remove after 20 michigan winters, bolts just break off then you got another mess to deal with. next time mine goes its getting a access cut in the bed also, but for the cover plate ill cut a piece of the bottom of a junkyard box so it lays in with the ribs of the original box floor.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bed is not so easy to remove after 20 michigan winters, bolts just break off then you got another mess to deal with. next time mine goes its getting a access cut in the bed also, but for the cover plate ill cut a piece of the bottom of a junkyard box so it lays in with the ribs of the original box floor.

Thats what I am gonna do too.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
[/QUOTE] Time for fuel sender swap took 10 min including smoke break.[/QUOTE]

Wet towel over the head helps.

[/QOUTE]Worked like a charm![/QUOTE]

Just messing with ya! Good write up!