Fuel Pressure Regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i've read our trucks need 9-13 psi of fuel pressure to run. I am wanting to install a fuel cell and external fuel pump. Will the factory regulator work? Is it factory regulated? Thanks.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assume that you're talking about a TBI engine? 9-13 PSI is the pressure you're looking for in reference to pump output. That's fuel delivery to the regulator, not necessarily the regulator's output to the injectors. So as long as your new external pump delivers that 9-13 PSI, you should be fine. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to feed, say, 60 PSI to the stock regulator, but I don't think it would like it.

RussKincaid

Reaction score
You should be fine. I installed a Camaro TPI type pump inside my tank which is designed to deliver 43 psi and 155 gph iirc. it runs just fine and has for a couple of years now. The stock regulator is just a spring under a diaphragm that opens the return passage when the pressure reaches a set point. If you try to feed too much fuel it will just bypass back into the tank. Be sure to plumb the return line into your fuel cell though.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^What Russ said. It'll be fine, just make sure to plumb that return line or you'll have a lot of issues. I run a 96+ fuel pump on a TBI with an 18psi spring with no issues.

MrCeige

Reaction score
hey friends....so what pump did you run and how did it work out? bagging mine and was looking to do the same thing