Fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh just snapped it's a 454 totally different injection than I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears as though it was the FPR. I changed that out, and it looked as though someone had already either replaced the injectors or had them cleaned since a couple of the connectors were damaged or broken. So I took a chance and only did the regulator since I'm going to end up selling this thing almost immediately.

No more hesitating, missing, or smelly exhaust. Now if I can just get the A/C to come back on...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, anyone in the Fort Riley area want to buy a 2000 GMC? Moving to Fort Campbell in late July, so anyone in between the two might have a chance...;)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 96 Crew cab 3500 7.5L. Starts fine cold but warmed up it is hard to start if it sits for more than 30 minutes after shut down, On another thread someone said to check the coolant temp sensor. I am going to replace it since it is easy to get to and won't cost an arm & leg. Checked fuel pressure and it checked within specs.

Barry cowan

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 96 Crew cab 3500 7.5L. Starts fine cold but warmed up it is hard to start if it sits for more than 30 minutes after shut down, On another thread someone said to check the coolant temp sensor. I am going to replace it since it is easy to get to and won't cost an arm & leg. Checked fuel pressure and it checked within specs.

Kinda a beginner but someone said there problem was the starter soaking or it could be a weak fuel pump although you said it was within specs

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda a beginner but someone said there problem was the starter soaking or it could be a weak fuel pump although you said it was within specs

The "hot start issue" is usually caused by a failed fuel pressure regulator. I know several other L29 owners on this forum have diagnosed and fixed this very issue, including myself.

Barry cowan

Reaction score
The "hot start issue" is usually caused by a failed fuel pressure regulator. I know several other L29 owners on this forum have diagnosed and fixed this very issue, including myself.
Have you heard of many new mpfi spider sets having a fuel regulator go bad within about 500 miles im just wondering since my 5.7 is doing the same thing

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you heard of many new mpfi spider sets having a fuel regulator go bad within about 500 miles im just wondering since my 5.7 is doing the same thing

You'll have to forgive me I'm not well versed in the 5.7L fuel injection. However, with today's manufacturing and quality control I wouldn't be surprised by that. I know that there are varying qualities of those spider sets and have heard from a few people how miserable they can be.

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the Temp sensor with no change. Took it to my mechanic after it kicked out an error code. That was a worn distributor. Truck still hard to start when warmed up and sitting for 30 mins or more. Starts cold fine. Took in for a rear brake job and had them replace FPR after researching on this site and one other. Got it back today. They said fuel rail & injectors looked great. Drove home and let it sit for an hour. still hard to start. I'm thinking it could still be the fuel pump. I have changed one before so not too much trouble. will wait for cooler weather and post the results here. 1996 Chevy C3500 CC SRW 7.4L 226,000 miles. Any suggestions would be welcome. Note: It was my idea to have them replace the FPR just did not want to do it myself.

Last edited: