Front wheels skipping in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone would know why when I engage the 4WD system in both 4Lo and 4Hi the front wheels do not spin correctly. The front wheels lock up and leave skid marks on the road. It went from working fine to that. Do the electric 4WD systems still use vacuum and if so, could it be that? It's a 97 ecsb 5.7 Z-71

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The actuator is all electric, no vacuum. Sounds to me like your front diff ate a carrier. I would pull the cover off and give it a look.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. I will look into that. Thank you. Not familiar with what a carrier is but a little Google imaging and my Haynes manual and I am sure I can find it.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if I am correct then there will be no repairing it, it will need a replacement. Remove the diff, easy to do, and open it up.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If time is an issue, pick up a cheap junkyard front diff with matching gear ratios and do a quick weekend swap. Otherwise setting up a diff isn't difficult just time consuming and tests your patience at times.