Front "sway bar" end link replacement issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks,

While doing some normal maintenance on my 96 K1500 I noticed that the passenger side end link which connects the sway bar (or anti-sway bar) to the lower control arm had sheared. I cut off the driver's side and picked up a replacement end link kit but cannot install it because of interference with the upper control arm. The UCA prevents me from getting the long bolt, bushings and sleeve into position.

I tried to do this with the truck supported by jack stand and the suspension at full drop and while the truck was on the ground. Neither position seemed to appreciably change the orientation of the UCA with relation to the LCA. Short of starting to disassemble the suspension, can anyone offer up any other ideas?

Truck is mildly cranked, ~0.75 to 1" max over stock ride height. Bilstein HD's replaced the factory shocks years ago. Otherwise the suspension is 100% stock.

Thanks in advance...

Mark

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Unbolt the other side of the sway bar from the control arm. Then lift the sway bar up and install the link to the sway bar. Then pull the sway bar back down and bolt the links onto the control arms.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I always just disconnect the sway bar entirely from the truck. Its 4 10MM bolts on each side, makes it much easier to get everything lined up.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Horns,

Both sides are disconnected... I could barely move the sway bar and still couldn't get the alignment/clearance that I needed.

ChrisAU,

I think this may work... I thought about it after I had pretty much called it a day. I might also order polyurethane bushings since I'll have the whole thing apart.

Thanks for the info guys.

Mark

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I always just disconnect the sway bar entirely from the truck. Its 4 10MM bolts on each side, makes it much easier to get everything lined up.

That's a good idea also. It doesn't take much to get it off.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Success!

Yesterday, I did drop the stabilizer bar and replaced those bushings in addition to the end inks. I used the Energy Suspension red polyurethane kit. I still had a hell of a time with the endlinks and ended up with the tuck on jackstands under the frame, used a floor jack under the LCA to raise it a bit and a ratchet strap to pull the stabilized bar closer to the LCA. Between all of that and fitting my fat fingers through the access hole in the lower LCA, it was a real PIA. However, it's done and all is good; hopefully for at least another 16 years...

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Hopefully those last longer for you than they did for me. I think the 4.5" Energy Suspension ones are too short. I ran them a few times, but every two years it snaps the bolts off at the bushing. If I can find a measurement of the stock ones, I'm just going to put my own bolts in there to do the job. You wouldn't happen to know the length of the stock ones would you?

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
CrustyJunker,

I too hope that the ones I just replaced last at least another 16 years... They were a PIA to replace, IMO.

I can get you the bolt length tonight. I had bought a replacement kit from NAPA, then decided to go with the Energy Suspension polyurethane instead. I verified that the NAPA replacement was the same length as the OEM, so as long as I remember, I'll measure them tonight and post the length tomorrow. BTW, The Energy Suspension bolts were the same size as both the NAPA kit and OEM; longer than 4.5" for sure...

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
CrustyJunker,

The "sleeves" for the link measure 4.5". The actual bolts are 9".