front hitch receiver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I'll have to look when i make it back out to the shop. I got a 3/4 ton hitch laying out there with the side plates already cut off of it (Had to have them to put on the frankentruck. Neither hitch would fit so i had to make one.) . I wanna be sure its not going to hinder my ground clearance in any way. That stuff is precious around here. I'll probably build a custom receiver for it that follows the bumper up, (kinda like a normal one upside down) and has a big enough hole for a shackle pin to fit thru. I'll leave it in there when i park by the sidewalk at the apartment. Sit in a lawn chair, drink beer, and watch folks break their knee caps off on it. :rotflmao: This would be super handy for parking the boat too. Gotta do it with a 4 wheeler right now cuz its so tight gettin it in there and it don't like moving the heavy *******.

Travis Lee

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Think I will see what I can build tomorrow as far as a mounted front winch receiver goes. Everything which I’ve seen on online sites to buy looks like junk or is too low to the bottom of frame. I’ll hit the shop in the morning, see what I can come up with and post some pictures. I have an aftermarket bumper I found at an online marketplace. Gonna see how it fits and work around or through it if the bumper ends up being the fit I imagine that it will be.

12-25-2018
So, I’ve got this built so far. Going to weld the receiver and put a hole through the bumper now..

Last edited:

billy bee

Reaction score
I bought DrawTite, Model 65005. I think it cost about $125. It is rated for 500# tongue weight and 9,000# line pull. That's suitable for the winching I do. It is most handy, however, for parking a trailer. We keep our ski boat in our garage. It's a tight squeeze. There are only a few inches on either side. But the boat and trailer are lot easier to park using the front hitch.

bb

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I bought DrawTite, Model 65005. I think it cost about $125. It is rated for 500# tongue weight and 9,000# line pull. That's suitable for the winching I do. It is most handy, however, for parking a trailer. We keep our ski boat in our garage. It's a tight squeeze. There are only a few inches on either side. But the boat and trailer are lot easier to park using the front hitch.

bb

I've always wondered about this, can you elaborate on how it's easier to squeeze a trailer into a tight spot with a front hitch vs rear?

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You win some, you lose some. Giving the wheels closest to the trailer some steering angle helps with maneuverability, but you lose out on being able to watch the sides with mirrors. You'll have a good view of the front of the trailer, but you won't be able to see where the trailer wheels are unless it's a flatbed or something with an unobstructed line of sight. I still prefer backing in, but YMMV. A lot depends on the manner in which the parking spot is "tight". If you have to deal with very sharp turns, the extra steering angle is nice. But if you're just trying to negotiate a trailer straight back into a narrow parking space, mirrors are your best friend.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always trust your mirrors! My truck driving dad's advice. Nearly 3 million miles in his driving years and he had zero accidents, and backed into nothing in all those years. He finally gave up driving 18 wheelers and now he drives a school bus. I was trying to back a 35' trailer into a tight spot with a front hitch. He watched for a while then kicked me out of the drivers seat, mounted it to the back hitch, and slid it right into place in one smooth flowing shot! Ticked me off, but I am a much better backer now after finally listening to him. The one place the front hitch shines for me is the boat dock.