front hitch receiver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'll have to look on my laptop later im just on my phone

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

ryandrews123

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i took your guys comments into consideration and decided to change my mounting up a bit. This is my first welding project. I bent and welded a piece of 1/4" steel, but still used the tow hook holes to bolt to. I also had to modify the front skid plate to fit.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Looks better.

Not bad for a first welding project. Only real problem I see is your weld in the closer picture looks suspect. Lots of voids, looks like low penetration. This is an application where you want really good weld penetration. Winching a full size truck can put upwards of 15,000 lbs of force on it.

I would suggest you have another shot at those if you plan to winch with it. If you're using a small 110 welder, you may have the v cut it and make a couple passes. Good practice anyways if you're just starting out.

Also, some bolts to the frame on the top would help with it twisting under load and possibly ripping through the lower frame horns.

Nylock nuts are a nice touch, although I like to see at least one thread protrusion to ensure they are locked.

:)

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those look like grade 5 nylocks as well. The bolts an nuts should be grade 8 for an application such as this....

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Those welds will break before that grade 5 will lol

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You have no idea how much trouble that is lol. My passenger side frame horn is bent. Almost never got everything twisted around and lined up the first time. And im thinking about putting mine between the tow hook and the frame. My tow hooks touch my bumper and make it a PAIN to hook anything on them.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You have no idea how much trouble that is lol. My passenger side frame horn is bent. Almost never got everything twisted around and lined up the first time. And im thinking about putting mine between the tow hook and the frame. My tow hooks touch my bumper and make it a PAIN to hook anything on them.

Easy.

Install the hitch properly and get a shackle equipped 2" hitch insert.

Use a hardened pin and that's a perfect tow point.

Right square in the middle of the vehicle and tied into both frame rails...