Front End Suspension Parts to Replace During Lift Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98-K1500

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll be having a shop install a 4" RC lift on my 98 K1500 in the next coming weeks and would like to have a lot of the front end parts replaced during the install process. My truck has 165K on it and I've owned it since 88K, so to my knowledge it is all original parts except for the pitman arm which was replaced two years ago.

So far I have:

Moog inner and outer tie rod ends
New tie rod adjusting sleeves
Idler arm and bracket
New Moog upper arms with ball joints

Planning to pick up a pair of Realift torsion bar re-locators later this week.

I'm pretty new to having really any sort of auto knowledge, so I have a few questions:

If I wanted to replace all bushings relevant to the front suspension components, would that be a relatively short list?

Also, on the lower arms I've read that some ball joints are pressed and others are riveted; how do I know what I need if I want to replace those? How do I tell the difference between stamped and forged lower control arms, so I know which ball joints to purchase?

Does anyone just sell new lower CAs with ball joint? Haven't been able to find this.

Any other parts I should gather up to have replaced while the kit is put on?

Any words of wisdom? I already have the 4" Rough Country kit. Is it common for a shop that installs the kit to be able to reroute the exhaust or should I take it to an exhaust shop even if they say they can do it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

98-K1500

Reaction score
Found out that I have stamped arms and ordered the appropriate ball joints. Also ordered two sets of LCA bushings.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also did the upper control arm bushings, the pitman arm, and all new ball joints. I also recommend the steering stabilizer from the lift company if you can get it.

The bushings are relatively cheap, but can fight ya getting the old ones out and the new ones in (use a freezer first). Also have the shop knock out the upper control arm knockouts-this can make aligning easier and is far easier at this stage in the game.