Front end rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94GreenGiant

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Shortbed stepside K1500 and I just did the upper and lowers, inner and outer tied rods with new sleeves, pit-man and idler, and the body mounts. I have a shop but no lift. With air tools, it took me 5 weeks a few hours a week to do the job. I had to cut out the riveted ball joints with an air hammer. It was tough work, but well worth it. After an alignment, the truck feels nice on and off road. I used a parts kit that came with everything, however, the top ball joint mounting bolts were too short. I had to go to a few stores before I found the correct length grade 8 bolts. Also, this is a new-to-me used truck and the previous owner had the front torsion bars cranked up. This made for very little clearance on the top ball joint bolts. When getting the alignment, I had them crank down the t-bars as I will be lifting the rig properly in the spring.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I have a 1994 Shortbed stepside K1500 and I just did the upper and lowers, inner and outer tied rods with new sleeves, pit-man and idler, and the body mounts. I have a shop but no lift. With air tools, it took me 5 weeks a few hours a week to do the job. I had to cut out the riveted ball joints with an air hammer. It was tough work, but well worth it. After an alignment, the truck feels nice on and off road. I used a parts kit that came with everything, however, the top ball joint mounting bolts were too short. I had to go to a few stores before I found the correct length grade 8 bolts. Also, this is a new-to-me used truck and the previous owner had the front torsion bars cranked up. This made for very little clearance on the top ball joint bolts. When getting the alignment, I had them crank down the t-bars as I will be lifting the rig properly in the spring.
Wow 5 weeks? How many hours a week?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk