Front end rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Anyone and experience rebuilding the front suspension and steering rack and pinion on their truck?

Looking to do it myself any advice is welcome.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Anyone and experience rebuilding the front suspension and POWER STEERING GEAR with recirculating ball system on their truck?

Looking to do it myself any advice is welcome.

Not rack & pinion. FTFY ^^ Reference:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
or http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ch...ms-101-rack-and-pinion-vs-recirculating-ball/

Several people have rebuilt their front suspension, it's a wear item. If you want to tackle it yourself and plan on wrenching on your truck for a while I would suggest getting a set of GM Factory Service Manuals, they're available off an on from ebay. They're invaluable if you're going to work on and maintain your own vehicle. Stick to AC Delco parts or Moog's Problem Solver line (they have a couple lines now, IIRC the Problem Solver line has the better warranty).

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Not rack & pinion. FTFY ^^ Reference:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
or http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ch...ms-101-rack-and-pinion-vs-recirculating-ball/

Several people have rebuilt their front suspension, it's a wear item. If you want to tackle it yourself and plan on wrenching on your truck for a while I would suggest getting a set of GM Factory Service Manuals, they're available off an on from ebay. They're invaluable if you're going to work on and maintain your own vehicle. Stick to AC Delco parts or Moog's Problem Solver line (they have a couple lines now, IIRC the Problem Solver line has the better warranty).
Alright, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was rack and pinion or not

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it comes to tie rod ends and such, I just have my mechanic do it cause it's gonna need an alignment at that point

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
When it comes to tie rod ends and such, I just have my mechanic do it cause it's gonna need an alignment at that point
True, true. I would have to have an alignment done

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chevy 5.7, auto, ext cab, 2wd went with all MOOG with Bilstein shocks and the Energy Suspension bushing kit. Also replaced the front sway bar and added a rear one. Steers like it's on rails now!

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to hear as I'm about to do same on my 96 Tahoe- whose sway bars you use? Did you also replace body bushings too?

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do it yourself you will save a lot of money but its not too easy of work. Depending on what year your truck is it may have pressed in or riveted in ball joints. If they have been replaced before they may be bolt in. If your truck is stock height, the pitman arm is a PITA because you have to loosen the gear box to get access to it. As far as tie rods, if you measure the inner to outer tie rods and make sure you have it at the same distance when you install the new ends you will be fine until you can get it to an alignment shop. The idler arm is also really easy. Just unbolt and reinstall the new one.