Front end Popping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Hey guys I have lifted 96 k1500, when I turn the wheel to the right while backing up or going forward I get a loud "Pop" noise from the front end. It pops at most about 3-4 times at most and will stop as I'm driving. Me and a neighbor spent about 30 mins slowly driving in a right hand circle looking at all the parts moving and couldn't put our fingers on it. we specifically watched the cv axles and nothing we could tell was coming from them.

My ball joints were shot and figured it was that, but replaced them and the noise is still there. My next thought was CV axle on the driver side, it has a little bit of play in it but nothing more or less then my 09 silverado I have that I tested to see how a new cv axle feels.... however I did jack up the front with the wheels cranked to the right and spun the tires. The passenger side wheel spun freely, the driver side didn't spin very freely and looked like it was binding, however it didn't make any noise while spinning....

I also checked the idler and pitman arms, everything seems right, I just greased the front end the other day in hope that would help, but no luck. I just wanted some help before I start throwing parts at it. My next step is to do the driver side cv axle because of that binding.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I would throw both CVs at it and see what happens. Does it pop at random or does it seem to happen more often the faster you back up?

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
I would throw both CVs at it and see what happens. Does it pop at random or does it seem to happen more often the faster you back up?

Its pops every time about 3 times when I'm back up... the faster I go the more it seems to go away... I don't hear it at all turning right driving about 15-20 mph

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
torque the control arms. mine poped when backing out of parking spot. torqued the lower control arms and went away. just throwing it out there...

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
torque the control arms. mine poped when backing out of parking spot. torqued the lower control arms and went away. just throwing it out there...

Did you just use a tq wrench to do that or what?