Front end clicking and 4x4 lever wont move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logant12

Reaction score
I got a 97 k1500 with a 4x4 on the floor, I used the 4x4 to go up a icy hill then shifted back into 2wd going about 15mpg. I drove 10 miles no problem then i passed a car and i heard a loud pop at about 65 and then I punched it and got up to 65 again after I got on a new road to see if I could hear it again and It sounded like it was coming from the front end, and It made the noise like something metal was clanking, when I got home I tried to put it in 4hi and I couldn't move the lever I just hear a noise of something moving under the cab but it wont go far enough to get into 4wd same goes with low. I also wiggled my front drive shaft and it spins all the way around easily is that normal? any help would be nice cause I'm at a lose.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd drain the fluid in your transfer case and give it a visual inspection. If I had to guess you probably broke something in the tcase. I'm not sure 241s are really meant to be shifted while moving.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Are you sure it actually disconnected when you went back to 2wd? It's either the transfer case, as stated, or you broke something in the front end if it indeed did not fully disengage and bound up.

rcb1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you looked at your linkage? Those brackets can snap and bind as well. These rust problem can be well hidden.