Front brake caliper problems 99 OBS C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt rogers

Reaction score
I have a 99 Chevy 3500. I've got an issue with my brake pads not sliding over my rotors.

Here was my original problem that led me down this road:

The caliper piston on my drivers side was apparently sticking and caused some pretty nasty grinding on the inside of the rotor on that side. I decided to go ahead and replace all the shoes up front and also the calipers and rotors on both sides. I got the new rotor, bearings, and grease seal on my passenger side all in place with no problems. My issue is now my new calipers won't slide over the rotor with the brake pads on. It's like the pads are too thick. The caliper will not compress anymore. I've used a C clamp in the center of the piston (as I usually do) and made sure the bleeder was open and everything and it absolutely won't squeeze down anymore.

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible I have the wrong brake pads? They have the right clips on them and they match up to size but they are, of course, significantly thicker.