Freshly Rebuilt 350-Crankcase full of coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom joyce

Reaction score
Hope I'm not too late. Once you torque these head bolts they reach their limit. Some say you can reuse them, BUT I WOULD NOT.
Even though they are not tty bolts, they get weaker after torquing. You should install NEW head bolts EVERY time you loosen and/or remove them. IF you reused the same head bolts during the rebuild, then this is probably your problem.
New head bolts usually come with sealant on them. Even so, I put this stuff on the new bolts every time...
You must be registered for see images attach

tom joyce

Reaction score
Also, unless you asked the machine shop to test for a cracked block, they probably didn't. You usually cannot see the crack with a naked eye. This test should be itemized on the receipt of the bill from the machine shop. It's the magnaflux test. If that wasn't done - you many be wasting your time.
The intake ports should not be that dirty after 30 minutes of run time on a fresh rebuild. Were the heads rebuilt? If so, and the intake ports were clean - then there is serious issues with ring seal and oil blow by....good luck...

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, unless you asked the machine shop to test for a cracked block, they probably didn't. You usually cannot see the crack with a naked eye. This test should be itemized on the receipt of the bill from the machine shop. It's the magnaflux test. If that wasn't done - you many be wasting your time.
The intake ports should not be that dirty after 30 minutes of run time on a fresh rebuild. Were the heads rebuilt? If so, and the intake ports were clean - then there is serious issues with ring seal and oil blow by....good luck...
I'm not too worried about the block being cracked. I would have been having major problems before the rebuild if that was the case.
I fully disassembled the heads, gave them and all the components a little bit of a scrubbing, then reassembled with new valve seals. That buildup in there is pretty tough so I didn't really mess with it. I'd be worried if all that was from 30 minutes of idling lol.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can remove them 1 at a time, seal it then retorque then move onto the next one.
Run the motor at 1500 for 20 mins to check your cooling system and heat the oil up good, then change oil and filter.
That's what I did. Haven't run it yet. Still putting it back together.
Hope I'm not too late. Once you torque these head bolts they reach their limit. Some say you can reuse them, BUT I WOULD NOT.
Even though they are not tty bolts, they get weaker after torquing. You should install NEW head bolts EVERY time you loosen and/or remove them. IF you reused the same head bolts during the rebuild, then this is probably your problem.
New head bolts usually come with sealant on them. Even so, I put this stuff on the new bolts every time...
Little late. I considered this, and read up on it some, and decided to just reuse them. Maybe I'm ignorant. I appreciate it though.

tom joyce

Reaction score
That's what I did. Haven't run it yet. Still putting it back together.

Little late. I considered this, and read up on it some, and decided to just reuse them. Maybe I'm ignorant. I appreciate it though.
If ya reused them, hope ya put the sealant on them. I am curious if you fixed this...

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If ya reused them, hope ya put the sealant on them. I am curious if you fixed this...
I forgot to seal them upon initial assembly, and after running it a bit it was mixing fluids. So I removed them one by one and sealed them. I haven't run it yet. I hope its fixed. I want this saga to be over.

Reaction score
Please stop perpetuating this. Not all head bolts are trashed after 1 torque cycle.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to hang out at an old school garage in my misspent youth. The mechanic there had a simple test for head bolts. If it held torque it was good. He did great rebuilds and I don't think he replaced many head bolts. I also saw him re face many a head and block with a file. He was old when I knew him so he was definitely depression era, but he could really rebuild an engine. I expect that the sealant on the bolts will likely cure your oil and water problem. Good luck !

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score

Do you feel the same way about wheel studs?